Hastings Beach/Pier Moody Morning

Taken on a drizzly morning with Samsung Note 20 Ultra while waiting for the weather to clear to put my drone up

18 Likes

Some excellent shots!

1 Like

Thanks Ian :+1:t2:

Amazing shots

1 Like

Cheers Anthony :+1:t2:

Nice sky in pic 5 Steve. Lovely. :+1:

1 Like

WOW stunning pics

1 Like

Cheers Karl :+1:t2:

Thanks Simon :+1:t2:

Great shots Steve :+1: Cracking sky in pic2.

1 Like

Nice shots, nothing personal, but what did they look like before the post edit work, it seems the art of photography is going away.

1 Like

Thanks John :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks for the comment Phil. I’m still very new to photography and always welcome constructive criticism. These particular shots were all taken on my phone and were just a bit of fun to pass the time while waiting to get my drone up. The edits were also a bit of fun playing with various tools trying to learn the art of editing. As in the description it was a dark and drizzly morning and it will come as no surprise that this is how the original photos looked too lol They were edited using Snapseed on my phone
I will happily post the original photos below if you would like to have a play yourself as I’m keen to learn new techniques and styles. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 of the edited images are crops of the 3rd image hence only 6 unedited images

1 Like

@SirGunner
Hi Steve, my comment wasn’t meant as a criticism, the photos look really good but obviously edited, I’m not a great photographer or editor, but I try to take a photo that hopefully doesn’t need editing, but obviously that doesn’t happen so often so I will edit but by using curves and levels etc in photoshop to come up with something that is better than my original photo but is not obviously edited.

There are so many apps around now that let you apply different filters etc which tend to produce images that are obviously edited, so I think it is about finding that balance between the original and something that is edited too much.

I actually like your originals, yes they are a bit dark and gloomy, but that is how it was, and they capture that gloomy mood. I wouldn’t really count cropping as editing as such, you are just selecting a portion of the original image.

Anyway just keep taking photos either with the drone or a camera and play around, try messing about with the exposure, contrast and colour saturation, you’ll get more control over the edit. At the end of the day just do what you like, it doesn’t really matter if anyone else likes it as long as you are happy with what you have done.

1 Like

The crops of the huts on the pier are really good, doing so you have captured two really stunning images, I love the reflection of the huts in the water on the pier.

1 Like

Depends on what you mean as ‘editing’. All photos need editing in some way or another, even a simple crop is an edit. I remember back to darkroom days of dodging and burning with cut out shapes and using different chemicals to change colours or tone images. It’s all editing. Now shooting in RAW, the image has to be edited.

1 Like

Cracking photos @SirGunner. Living about 7 miles east of you I know it well and have several photos from terra firma myself.
What do you use to edit in, I’m a Lightroom man myself.
Trickyhicky

1 Like

Cheers Phil appreciate the feed back. Sometimes I over edit on purpose to get a particular look like images 1 and 2 which obviously aren’t meant to look ‘natural’ while other times I try for a more natural look. Ultimately I like to experiment and play around to see what effects I can create.
The reflections of the huts were enhanced by lowering the exposure level with a brush tool. I was quite happy with the result thanks

That sounds really interesting John. I would love to have a try at that kind of processing. Must have been a lot of work to get the look you wanted compared to digital editing but I’m sure very satisfying when you were done :smiley:

1 Like