Hello all from Poole

Hello all,

As someone who has been reading many posts for the past days, and has always had a keen interest in drones, I have finally taken the plunge. I am in the process of buying the DJI Mavic Mini. As a keen amateur photographer, I hope that the Mini will provide a good starting base to get into aerial photography, to expand my possibilities for shots. I will mainly be flying locally (Dorset/Devon), and in the North Wales Mountains.

I will be registering the drone (probably going to add some small strobes to it) and will be getting insurance through a BMFA country membership.

Obviously with everything that going on in the world at the moment, I will be restricted to the conservatory and perhaps low flight in the back garden, but will be glad of any tips on flight locations in and around Dorset for when everything gets back to normal (whenever that may be…?)

I hope everyone is staying safe for now,

3 Likes

Welcome to GADC Owen, a great bunch of lads on here with plenty of experience to answer any questions you may have.

One of the Mod’s will no doubt be along soon to give you the official GADC welcome.

Hi Owen / @MMJones96, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

An ever increasing number of our members also own the Mavic Mini … so you are amongst good company and plenty of knowledge to tap into on that model.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to quarantine :rofl:

Enjoy the site, lot’s of info on everything :+1:

Hi and welcome wish I could afford a mavric
Have fun :+1:

Hi Owen

I’m Phil, I live in Bournemouth, been flying Mavic Pro and now Mavic 2 Pro for a while. There are a few spots around you can fly, just need to be aware of the drone code and the Drone Assist app is good for checking no fly zones, you can have a look at my YouTube channel (AprilCoon Productions), which will show you a few local spots where I have flown.

I also like to dabble in photography and the drone has opened up a whole new dimension to photography and added video to it as well which then gets you into editing, something I had never done before, all great fun.

Would be nice to meet up once the virus thing clears up and plan an outing, all depends on weather though, mainly the wind.

Anyway for now enjoy the low level in the garden, it will at least help you to get used to the controls, are you getting the flymore kit as well, if so you could put on the prop guards and try it in the conservatory.

There are loads of guys here with way more experience than me who are very happt to share their knowledge so dig in as it were

Welcome Owen @MMJones96
:wave::wave::wave:

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info, I’ll be glad of any tips you can offer. I had a glance over your YouTube channel, some very good footage.
Yes I’m getting the fly more combo, definitely worth the extra money given what you get with it I think.
Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that once all this is over. I would be glad of the help and it would be good getting some experience with another user.
Stay safe for now.

Welcoming me Owen from Stevenage hope you enjoy the club it’s a great place to communicate and learn :ok_hand:

@MMJones96

Hi Owen

With the flymore kit I’m pretty sure you get the prop guard, so I would put it on if you are going to fly indoors as it will help when you fly into a wall or a lamp shade, done it all with my little Tello, but at least you will be able to have a go, or out in the garden would be good. At least you will get an idea of how it flies.

On its big brother there are settings that can slow down the effects of your input on the sticks which I found on a video on here. It really made a difference when shooting a video.

So for now have fun but keep safe.

Hi Owen @MMJones96, welcome to the grey arrows drone forum :grinning:

Hey Owen
Spooky- Literally just joined myself, and based in Poole, and awaiting my Mavic Mini Combo (DPD tells me it’s due tomorrow!)
Just abouts to do my intro but everyone seems so friendly! Check out the drone scene map, that’s quite cool. I followed a link here from mavicpilots.com who seem just as friendly!
Catch up after the lockdown to compare droning tips?!!
Stay safe
P

You sure you were on the right site?. :wink:

1 Like