Hello from Barry, South Wales

Hi, I’m Ian (but ‘Spook’ is fine).

I had a Potensic D85 for Christmas and am looking forward to learning to fly it properly and take plenty of photos (one of my other hobbies). There are quite a few restrictions in the area (my house is in the CWL FRZ) but it looks as if there are a few good places to fly outside the FRZ, but some still in Class D airspace. I’ve been trying to fathom out the law regarding drones and Class D airpspace in particular, but it’s not all that clear and much of what I’ve found on the interweb is old information and thus out of date. From what I can gather, the D85 has no real restrictions in Class D airspace, other than the Drone Code .

It would be nice to meet up if anyone is up for it.

3 Likes

What’s occurring Barry (sorry couldn’t resist), welcome to the club, one of the mod team will be along shortly to welcome you officially.

2 Likes

Hi there Ian @Spook57 and welcome to Grey Arrows :smiley:

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in the Wales area, some of whom I’m sure will be along shortly to welcome you too :slight_smile:

(Please feel free to add yourself to that map too :+1:t2: - How to add yourself to the Members Map )

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them - just in case!

We’ve recently updated the Drone Scene service to provide lots of additional layers of information too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs.

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Welcome to GADC, Ian. Have you, as well as reading up on the drone code registered as an operator and done the CAA’s 20 question quiz?

Yep. Done all that (20/20 - SMUG mode) and put my Operator ID on the drone, as required. Just waiting for the opportunity/weather to get out and learn to fly. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Ian, welcome to GADC. I hadn’t come across your particular drone before so I googled a couple of reviews/ Looks like you’ve got a cracking piece of kit there!

When the weather improves get out there and, like learning to drive a car, take it easy at first and gradually build up your skills. Look forward to seeing your first pictures and videos :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does look good on paper.That was my main reason for choosing it. Maybe go for something a bit more up market if all goes well.

1 Like