Hello from Basildon

Hello from Basildon Essex,
Here I am at sixty one and still finding new toys lol. Ok total newbie. I have an eachine e520s to learn with and if I’m still hooked, I’ll upgrade to the DJI mini 2. Found this club and thought instead of lurking at least say hi :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Woody7 and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Hi Alan and welcome :+1: :+1:

Hi Alan - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thank you :blush:

Greetings from West Yorkshire and welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Welcome Alan to GADC :clap:

@woody7 Hi and welcome from bolton

Cheers Andy :blush:

Hi @Woody7 . 5 minutes on GADC and you’ll be hooked. I’m betting that drone upgrade will be sooner than you anticipated. :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Hiya,
Your right :joy:
I would go out and get one now lol. Although that would be stupid. Once i feel things become more natural with flying what I have, that will be it :joy::joy::joy: I’m sitting here as we speak watching the trees moving all over the place so it’s to windy at the moment. Once that stops I’ll have another go :blush:

Welcome, unless you are Bisons supporter :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No worries. Take your time. It will be easier with the Mini 3, especially in the wind. My mini 2 puts up a good show up to 25mph winds but I lack the intuitive skill to react quick enough should it be overcome so dont tend to fly in anything stronger that often. No obstruction sensors make me nervous but I’ve found if you fly high enough you stop worrying about hitting owt. :laughing: Mini 3 sensors will help you in this regard, just watch the sideways manouvres :+1:t2:I also purchased DJI carefresh recently (only had liability insurance before that), which gives me more confidence to push the risk factor. :joy:

I wouldn’t know all the Bisons are :joy::joy: sounds like an American team. So I’m ok there :blush:

I have a lot to learn before I get what you have, Well I’m glad I didn’t go for the DJI to start with :joy:. Went outside took off let it go over my fence, then the wind decides to pick up and it didn’t react very well. I thought just land it in the field.
Did that, well so I thought and went to find it but couldn’t. So I thought I’d power it up from where I stood and listen. Yep sounded like a hedge cutter somewhere.
Took me a while but the camera was still live. So tried to find it by that I could see leaves and greenery. It had ended 6ft up in a bush but I have got it back :joy::joy:
Tried it out still works but now it’s whistling. Maybe a prop after trying to cut bushes. So cleaned it up recharging the battery and I’ll try again when it’s still. Talk about knock your confidence. Still you fall off something just get back on right :thinking:

1 Like

Absolutely. I landed my mini 2 on the house roof using RTH. I had set home point from the middle of my garden to the doorway I was standing in by mistake (Lord knows how). I overuled it complaining about landing and it ended up in the gutter. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I used find my drone and heard it chirpin away above my head! I had a cheap drone without GPS that I practised with before thst, and it did same as yours and I hit the kill button as it disappeared past next doors garage. Landed on the pavement front of our house like a well behaved puppy. :roll_eyes: Learnt from the mini 2 mistake and always check home point and compass before landing it manually. :grinning:

They are your local ice hockey team, our rivals :slight_smile:

Ooh now you look back you can laugh but at the time I bet bit of panic set in :joy:.
Now my dogs decided it’s something to chase and bark at :roll_eyes: