Hello from Cheltenham!

Morning everyone!

Hope everyone had a fantastic xmas :grin:

So, Santa made me a DJI Mini 2 for xmas this year and I’m just getting up to speed on where I can and cant fly it in Cheltenham :star_struck:

Nice to meet you all!

David

7 Likes

Hi @davidd and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Good choice on the M2, by far the most popular drone amongst our members

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi David, welcome aboard. I am not that far from you, in Swindon.

Check out Drone Scene, it will tell you exactly this :+1:

2 Likes

Pretty much anywhere, but not over the top of GCHQ!

Cheers - Rob.

1 Like

Hi David✅Gloucester guy here, i fly in Tuffley but I’m looking at Leckhampton Hill, Crickley country park and the viewpoint behind the Air balloon, Dowdswell reservoir stay safe fly safe😎

2 Likes

Hi David - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Haha, I imagine I would be bundled into a back van with no windows if I got too close to HQ!

Bit disappointed Cleeve Hill prohibits drone flying, and Glos Airport NFZ takes up a big old chunk of South Cheltenham, but still, I’m sure I can find somewhere!

1 Like

Thanks very much, pleasure to be here :grin:

Excellent suggestions, I’ll have a look at those myself :grin: thanks :+1:

Ideal, thanks!

Hi there! I’ve just left Cheltenham as a student, lovely place.

It’s important to remember that a slice of Cheltenham is in Gloucestershire airport’s FRZ, so you’d need to contact them if you want to fly in it. Any good drone app should show this (like the excellent DroneAssist above), or the official NATS source is NATS UK | UAS Restriction Zones

2 Likes

Only partly obstructed by the FRZ.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome, my local airport are quite happy for me to fly in the area on two provisos, I alway let them know an hour or so in advance, and I promise to keep the height under whatever they tell me on the day. They were really quite helpful when I showed them exactly where I intended to fly on a map, and had a good grasp of the rules. Just asking permission let’s them see you want to fly safe.

5 Likes

Welcome, David!

I have some family in Cheltenham and have been down there a few times this year. Like you, I asked on here for local flying recommendations and although I got some friendly responses I didn’t get any actual locations so ended up venturing out on my own!

Firstly, regardless of what drone you’ve got in terms of category and CAA (airspace) regulations, you’ve always got the headache of checking local byelaws if you want to take off from public land. As confirmed in the below FOI request and response, Cheltenham Council haven’t implemented any byelaws prohibiting UAV flights from their land, so you can (and should) consider their request/process for permission to fly as optional.

I ended up flying quite a lot in Pittville Park (without requesting permission). It’s a great location as it’s large (so you can maintain safe distances from uninvolved public), has lots of open green space, trees, and some nice some water features.

Anyway, good luck - and please do consider adding locations you find to the DroneScene community map!

Cheers.

2 Likes

Welcome @davidd

2 Likes

A welcome from another forum newbie too :+1:

Tim

1 Like

im abit late to this thread but im from Cheltenham too and just starting out. Would be great to know how youve got on the last 8 months