Hello from Hayling Island

Been flying for about a year. Would like to chat or meet up with others in the area. Fly a Spark and very much still learning.

3 Likes

Welcome to the group :+1:

Hi, good to see you found us! I’m toying with the idea of setting up a meet when the weather improves somewhere in the Hampshire countryside. Suggestions from more experienced members welcome.

I’ve got permission from the Harbour master to overtly the Mulberry if you fancy an overwater flight. The idea is to eventually put together a wartime Hayling collection. Long term project!

I’ll catch up with you for a coffee sometime :coffee::smiley:

Why don’t you add that to the sky scene places to fly page?

Hi Ralf / @Ralfhayling , and welcome to GADC. :+1:

Quite a few of our members also own the Spark … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: : How to add yourself to the Members Map )

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

Hi Ralfhayling :wave:

I haven’t added the site because permission is needed to overfly seabird nesting grounds and it has to be done at certain states of the tide. Take off and landing will be from the Harbour Board land which is a working boatyard. Although my mission is personal and not for gain I have approached it in a professional manner to ensure that all authorities involved will be happy.

Maybe I will add it once theflight has be proven and everyone is more relaxed about overflying an SSSI.

2 Likes

SSSl?

@alexmciver SSSI = special site scientific interest? :wink: not sure i am correct ,but thats my take:wink::rofl:

Thank you. I’ll try to work out how to add pics and video.

Interesting about getting permission to fly overfly the harbour. I think people are alarmed about the no fly zones on the DJI maps especially around airports but I recently wanted to fly on the IOW within range of Sandown airport. I called the tower and they were extremely friendly. Told me where I was I could fly below 400ft no problem.

1 Like

Would love to get some footage of the Mulberry. Also I think there are Harbour Seals in the area. So many interesting things in the area.

Okay but why would you class it as that?

Pretty much everything around Hayling Island is in either the Langstone Harbour SSSI (west side) or Chichester Harbour SSSI (east side). There is also the Sinah Common SSSI on the south-west corner. Much of the shore on the south side is outside any SSSI. You can find SSSIs (and other nature-protection sites) using DEFRA’s MAGIC map.

In any SSSI, certain specified activities require prior consent of Natural England, typically anything that can harm or disturb wildlife. The details of the site-specific requirements are found on NE’s Designated Sites View website.

Looking at those, the restrictions on the west side of the island (recreational activities harming or disturbing wildlife) are more onerous than on the east (recreational activities harming sand dunes).

For the future, Natural England have been looking at introducing Bye-laws to make it easier for them to prosecute people. Their draft Bye-laws include the potential to explicitly ban flying of drones and model aircraft, but I believe the regulations would have to be introduced on a site-by-site basis and I doubt it will happen soon.

However I don’t think anyone should get caught up worrying over the minutiae of the regulations, unless you have a genuine interest in ending up in court and arguing with proper lawyers. My advice would be to make yourself aware of why these areas are designated, and be suitably cautious and responsible.

Pictures are easy, the bar along the top of the reply box has an upwards pointing arrow with a bar beneath. That’s your upload button. Click on that and you get:

Videos of a length more than a few seconds are best posted on YouTube or Vimeo and a simple link obtained by clicking on the share button of your video can be pasted here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYmcN12M97o for instance, if pasted straight in gives this - for some reason You Choob has decided to include Buster Keaton’s train journey in my feed

It’s worthwhile suffering the getting started tutorial, it will all start to become clear. And, as with drone flying, the more you practice …

1 Like

Or, on laptop/desktop … just drag’n’drop … even quicker.

You and your fancy ways. I bet you’ve got one of those new-fangled mouse thingies haen’t you?

1 Like

I do have spell checker. :wink:

(Not that that is always evident, of course. More often it changes my typos to the wrong word. #AutoIncorrect)

No weigh Hose A. If I is too make a misteak I preffer to do it man you ally. Grammer and sin tacks bad too,

Hi there I own a Spark and a Mavic Platinum drone I live in Portsmouth Belgravia Road precisely.

Would be nice to arrange a meeting one day weather permitting just one snag transport is difficult wife uses the car. Bye the way I am a 73 younster smiles. Regards Irvine

1 Like

Hello everyone , I’ve just got my first drone this week and just discovered your site , it’s good to know theres local members hereto the Portsmouth area, I’ve flown this evening over the Eastney lake area , a few interesting wrecks to explore

Anyway it will be great to speak with you all

Mike

1 Like