Hello from Oldham

Hi Everyone,
My name is Mark and I am from Oldham in Lancashire, which means that I am surrounded by the beautiful Saddleworth countryside, which is ideal for a Drone owner.
I have just purchased the DJI Mini 3 Pro with the new RC.
I am absolutely new to all this so its going to be a learning curve right from the very beginning so please go easy on me if I ask any questions which I am sure I will.
Looking forward to interacting with you all and even meeting some of you in the future.
Stay well, thanks, Mark

4 Likes

Hi @callycolly and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

I’m over in Wigan so not far from you at all.

And have you seen our members map? There’s a whole bunch of us in the north west (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi Mark - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

My daughter lives near Saddleworth in Greenfield - so we been fortunate enough to visit several times and you’re totally correct - it is an absolutely stunning area :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hi mate not too far from you tops of new mills . New to all this myself. The flying seems easier than the rules, im doing my a2 cofc with masterclass @ uavhub, but they do the course training for free you just pay for the test if you decided to take it. It really helped and was even very intresting.

Welcome @callycolly

1 Like

Hi, thanks for letting me join and opening a wealth of information to myself.
Cheers, Mark

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for the welcome Jhdee.
I’m not far from Greenfield, just in Uppermill actually, probably met your daughter in our shop, its called Countryside Kids.
Can’t wait to get the drone up around Dovestones, as you said its stunning round there.
Just need a bit more practice with the controls before I do that though because like I said its all completely new to me and I don’t want to lose it in the reservoir.
Cheers, Mark

Hi,
Cheers Mick for the welcome.
Mark

Hi James,
Thanks for the welcome.
Thanks for the information, will definitely look into that, can’t have enough information at this stage.
You have some nice areas around your parts also, hope you enjoy your new hobby.
Cheers, Mark

We have some great areas if sub 250 or a1 transitional. Look for mellor cross

And these are the views from my living room window

Hi James, wow you are a lucky chap with them views, will defo look for Mellor Cross.
Cheers, Mark

Have visited Dovestone and it looks a great place to fly.

Just find yourself a nice wide open space away from trees - trees tend to be the biggest enemy of drones. Then just familiarise yourself with the controls. Start with the drone facing away from you - that way the controls are normal - left goes left right goes right. Then you can progress to the drone facing you - now the controls appear reversed because left goes right and vice versa. Can be a bit tough to get your head round to start with but with a little practice it becomes second nature. If things start to go a bit Pete Tong - just take your finger off the sticks and the drone will hover - collect your thoughts then make some slow moves to reset. You’ll get there - if I can do it anybody can :crazy_face: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Hi,
Great advice thanks. This is what I intend to do tomorrow as it is my day off, weather permitting. As you know its always raining in Saddleworth but hopefully before long I will have soon decent footage to post,
Cheers, Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark
Welcome likewise i have just bought my 1st drone mini 2 had a week now but weather and other things i haven’t flown it yet but weather for tomorrow 1st August looking good in colne Lancashire so fingers crossed

I’m between Roachdale and Bury. Say hi if you’re around

Hi, I’m new to this also. From Shaw, I know Saddleworth and surrounding areas very well as i used to work out in the countryside. I too am looking forward to flying my dji mini 3 pro over some stunning scenery. Whether I’ll ever get to grips with the editing though, is another thing entirely.
Good luck.!!