Hello from Worcester

Hello everyone. I live in Worcester and have been doing a lot of reading up about drones as I’ve been thinking about getting one for quite some time. I’m still in the thinking stage and not yet pulled the trigger. I came across this forum as I’ve been reading up about privacy/rules about flying etc and there are some great posts from the community here, so thank you for sharing all you have.

The drones I’m considering are either a Mavic Air 2 or a Mavic Mini. I’m on the fence as to which would suit me better and whether I would want to fork out twice the money (near enough) for the Air 2. The mini kind of seems like the near-perfect first drone, but the Air 2 would be more robust in windier conditions and has a better camera.

My reservations about getting a drone at all are largely around if I’d ever feel comfortable using it in certain scenarios where I had been thinking I’d want to use it - weighed up against the expense of buying and owning one (or more). Hence my investigations that have led me here.

Anyway, thought I’d better join the forum and say hello! :wave:

1 Like

Hi and welcome, I’m new too and I spent years wanting to do this but thanks to this site and help from its members I finally did it and I’m so pleased I did, I got the chance of a new second hand mavic mini and it’s a great little thing especially to learn with but has its restrictions with wind and connection as it’s uses WiFi but neither are a major problem and personally I love it just a pain if you get a nice day but it’s a bit windy, that said I am looking to upgrade to either a mavic 2 or wait for the 3 or maybe a air 2 but I won’t be doing anything until these come with the CE mark and the ADS-B fitted to meet the new rules that are on there way as without these you will not meet the new regs. My advise would be buy a good second hand mavic mini with fly more kit as it won’t be really affected as much by the new regs , loads about at good price , learn with that then upgrade after the CE mark becomes available . That’s just how I see it but others with more experience will know better than me as I’m relatively new too, this is a really great site to learn from if you make use of it with loads of advice available from very experienced flyers. Enjoy and have fun.

Oh no, something else I need to read up on!!

1 Like

Nothing to worry about but as you are so close to the CE mark coming out its well worth waiting or just buy a second hand mini, spark air or pro as after new regs they can still be flown but must be far away from people and buildings , so for me I won’t be buying anything new or expensive until we get the CE and airsafe on new drones , but yes read up on it lots to read new regs should of came in 1st July that’s now been pushed back to 31st December with a transition period until July 2022 . rumours are that air 2 might have these very very soon.

Two years is quite a long time in the life of a drone. And, given the way the drone law implementation seems to change every month don’t deny yourself a new aircraft because of impending legislation. In two years we may not have the present government - or any government at all!

If it were me and I had the money I would go for the Mavic Air 2 Fly More. Extra batteries are always useful even with 30 minute flight times.

Why?

Ok, it’s twice the price. Which means that the Mini is in some respects lacking. It is great for photo and video if you just want to share amongst friends on Facebook. The Air has a better camera and software allowing you more freedom if you get interested in making the best of your pictures. The Air is able to fly in windier conditions that the Mini. Judging by the large numbers of Minis on the second hand market either people are deciding that drone flying is not for them or their skills are outgrowing the Mini and they are looking for a better specified aircraft/

Don’t get me wrong, the Mini is a great bit of kit for the price and ideal to stick in a pocket and take out into the countryside. However, the Air 2 is also a great bit of kit for the price, will fit in a large pocket or backpack and will still be satisfactory as your skills and understanding grow.

Note - I have flown neither and am perfectly happy with ,y original Air and my Inspires :slight_smile:

Hi @cpettifer

Check out these recent threads:

Mavic Air 2 or Mavic Mini

On the fence about the Mavic Air 2?

:+1:t2:

I’m a recent convert to the drone game since I used my sons Phantom 4 up in Scotland … decided to jump in and bought the mini BUT whilst it’s a great bit of kit it really can’t cope with wind well and I was very nervous when it went any kind of range … all I managed was about 800m though …sold it , bought the Air 2 and absolutely love it … no more worry about wondering if it will come back … photo and video quality excellent.

If you can afford it get the air , if you want to test if you really want to get into the game go on eBay and buy a 2nd hand mini …

I used to live in Droitwich Spa so I know there are some excellent locations up there for you …enjoy

Thanks all, this is really helpful :+1:

I’ve read up and think I understand the incoming EU rules now. It’s disappointing the the Air 2 doesn’t have a CE marking yet. I guess there is always plenty of scope for me owning more than one drone…!

Oh, my reading of the A3 category for legacy drones without a CE marking (and over 250g) - the restrictions for use sound pretty similar to existing restrictions to me. Is this correct as far as other people understand?

Or are they actually slightly more restrictive, e.g. must keep 150m from residential, commercial, industrial, rather than the current rules that say you can overfly some buildings provided you are at least 50m up?