Hi All, New here from Londonderry

Hi All,

New to the community, I bought my first drone mini 2 and I’m anxious to get get started but I would like be sure that I’m completely covered with respect to insurance and knowledge.

I have been looking at Moonrock Insurance to cover accidental damage cover @ around £57 for the year and £100 excess. I read about members discounts but as I’m new I believe it may take me 7 days to achieve the status requirement. Is there anyway to get membership ID prior to the 7 day requirement to get to the status level?

I also have been looking at flyer ID and operator ID although not required I would just like to cover myself completely. I want to know if there are apps or websites that help with flying restrictions etc… in respect of my my location I live near the Irish border which may have its own restrictions, policies and procedures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @Solveitnow and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

There’s not, no. The GADC community is based on engagement and trust. People need to earn their keep :slight_smile:

Are you sure about that? :thinking:

You might want to double check :slight_smile:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the Questions & Answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

2 Likes

Welcome to Grey Arrows @Solveitnow. I’ve not much to add to what Rich @PingSpike has said, except to add that Ireland has very similar rules and regulations to the UK. Further info about flying there can be found at the IAA website here. Having said that, it will be a while before you run out of things to take photos and video of in Northern Ireland. There is plenty of stunning scenery up there where you are and Drone Scene is a fantastic resource for working out not only where to fly, but also if you can fly. Take it easy to start off with and you won’t be long getting into the swing of it. :+1:

3 Likes

Hi thanks for your reply regarding flyer ID and operator ID am I not right for the mini 2 requirement as it is 249g?

I have since read more of the FAQ and seen the part regarding member status. Well I’m here and active and can’t wait to share some the beautiful Donegal.

I have updated profile with location on members profile and I’m on the members map thanks.

The insurance discount is not a big thing for me but as I’m looking to get going ASAP just thought Id ask before I purchase as everyone loves to save a few pound. :smiley:

I’m already a member of dronescene seem to be pretty looking regarding limits in my area. The common sense areas such as airports seem to be the only real restrictions.

I think I may go ahead a get my insurance and get started

1 Like

Op ID needed as it’s under 250g with a camera and not a toy

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/registration-requirements-for-drones

2 Likes

Thanks for that must get registered now. :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome to GADC :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Hi @Solveitnow - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Couldn’t see it mentioned but you don’t need insurance unless you are doing commercial work, I assume its the same over there, but of course its sensible to have it just in case, you realise its not to cover you loosing the drone or similar, its to cover third parties… Its the TOAL that you have to worry about beyond no fly zones, no fly zones are easy to see but you need to check bylaws and stuff about TOAL. Cheers

@Malcy I disagree the cover from MoonRock covers for loss, accidentally damage and liability. Also completed the test for operator ID and flyer ID So I’m happy I asked the questions here as my beliefs where wrong regarding not requiring these IDs for the Mavic Mini 2. I would advise anyone on here that have the Mini 2 to do these quick learning and assessments only £10 for year and flyer last 5 years which is free.

2 Likes

Welcome @Solveitnow :+1:

1. Do I need to register as an operator in Ireland if I am already registered as a drone operator in another EU country?
    Not if you are already registered with the Civil Aviation Authority in your country of primary residence. However, you do need do apply for cross border operations if you wish to conduct operations in Ireland.

2. Can I register my drone in another EU state and operate in Ireland?
    You may operate your drone within Ireland if it is registered with the Civil Aviation Authority of another EU state. Drone operators must register with the Civil Aviation Authority in their country of primary residence.

Hi, Normally when someone on here is asking what they require to go flying and Insurance is mentioned, i.e. Do I need it, one assumes they mean Third Party in case you crash in to someone and take their eye out… the answer being no unless you are flying commercially, however If like yourself you want domestic insurance so if you crash it, loose it or stand on it they will cover it, that type of insurance is up to you, it sounds like you may need it. To be honest, someone who didn’t know they needed at least Operator ID is probably best placed not disagreeing with everyone.
Happy flying.
Cheers.

Get out the wrong side of the bed again @Malcy ?

1 Like

@Malcy sorry if I seem to have offended you that was not my intention. I’m new here and I thank you and everyone for your help and advice. I hope we can mend our relationship as we grow within this community.

I have had my first flight at sea yesterday and I have to say the drone left me at one point and error on my phone app, saying that the RC loss connection and the drone shot up very high in the sky I had to check my boxers :roll_eyes:.
This was terrifying TBH but I was able to take control eventually and bring it home.

1 Like

… sounds like the connection loss invoked a RTH - if so, would suggest you check your settings for RTH altitude - it may be set at the max of 120 metres. It’s good practice to set RTH altitude just after take off, The altitude you set will depend on where and what type of mission you are flying :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

So same thing happened last night, changed the short cable that connects to my phone with an original Apple cable and connection hasn’t dropped yet. Thinking the cable the might be faulty. Loving flying the drone, thanks for all the help here is a picture I took last night [quote=“Jhdee, post:15, topic:50879, full:true”]

… sounds like the connection loss invoked a RTH - if so, would suggest you check your settings for RTH altitude - it may be set at the max of 120 metres. It’s good practice to set RTH altitude just after take off, The altitude you set will depend on where and what type of mission you are flying :+1: :+1: :+1:
[/quote]

1 Like

Cable is a very common cause for loss of connection but normally only affects video Tx/Rx. You should still have full control via the sticks on the controller. Glad the cable change has sorted the problem for you.

Its still worthwhile checking your RTH settings to avoid future complications - have a look at this video for the intricacies of RTH …

Hi, I think you’ll find everyone is keen to help and guide you, people dont realise how much there is to know about flying, both regulations and flying competently, it will prob take you quite a few months before you get a grasp of everything. Anyway your loss of connection, I had a similar experience, RTH was set to 150 feet, you dont realise whats going on and 150 ft seems pretty high, even though I did set it… as advised try the RTH a few times until you get used to it, it sounds like you sorted the cable issue. Cheers

Glad to see you got out of the right side this morning @Malcy :smiley:

Ha-ha… shame you live a tad to far away, I’d buy you a pint…

1 Like