Hi everyone, new drone pilot here from Derby

Hi all

I just got a new Mavic Mini SE to play with and its rather lovely. Amazingly it was my wife’s idea though I didn’t need much persuading. We had a suspected problem with the roof of our house and our friendly local roofer reckoned we would need to hire some serious scaffolding to investigate it, plus the roof ladders might do damage too just to find out if anything was amiss. Linda says “do you ever use a drone for this kind of thing?” and Rod the roofer said no but what a great idea.

I set my daughter Tiegan onto researching an inexpensive but decent drone as she already has a drone licence from university, has flown some pretty big commercial drones and complex stuff including autonomous UAVs and is also close to getting her PPL too (Cessna 152 mainly).

ANYWAY, about £360 later a Flymore kit and Mini SE arrived. I did my Operator and Flyer registration and off I went. Absolutely amazing how easy it is to fly and it didn’t take long to survey the roof and confirm all was OK (phew).

So I now I know I have a good roof on my house, no need for scaffolding and own a lovely little drone and a burning desire to find places around Derbyshire to play with it!

I suspect this Forum is going to be super helpful.

By the way, Tiegan has done some very cool flying already including piloting a Tiger Moth, flown aerobatics in a Super Decathlon including multiple loop the loops and barrel rolls, and taken off and flown a sea plane. My drone ambitions feel quite modest by comparison! Here she is with the seaplane

6 Likes

Welcome to GADC.
If you have a look at DroneScene, you are likely to find places local to you that others have flown at.
I’m still new to flying, but getting more confident as time goes by …. Practice, practice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Bert46 and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi Phil - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

@Bert46 Hi Phil welcome to the club. As you said just getting for your roof surveying it has paid for itself. Have fun happy flying

1 Like

Exactly, I love man maths!!!

1 Like

Welcome flying buddy!!

1 Like

Welcome Phil to GADC :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Hi Phil and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Welcome in Phil.

I’m new to the scene also and the first thing a mate said to me when I told him I had bought a drone was. “Next time you’re round, you can check my gutters” :joy:

I have to say its a lot more fun than using a ladder!

@Bert46 welcome

1 Like

Very good use of your drone. Saved a fortune no doubt! Your daughter is going to be a high flyer!

1 Like