Hi from Great Yarmouth

Hi everyone I’m new to the drone world, I went flying with my old man when younger he had a couple of petrol helicopters and a plane and now trying to get back into after he passed a few years back, still have the choppers but haven’t been able to fly them so I got a potensic d80 and a phantom 3 4k and loving every minute just remembering the old times

5 Likes

Hi Nathan from a fellow Norfolk boy, based here in Norwich.
Welcome to the GADC we have several members here in Norfolk, most of them seem to have hibernated for the winter !.
I tend to fly where the mind takes me, on the coast, over the marshes at Halvergate, and at my Local Park at Eaton.
@Paul_M must live pretty close to you? He is a Caister Man.

3 Likes

Hi thanks for the kind welcome, my mum lives in halverhate I know it well, I have been on the beach with my one a bit still leaning about the p3 and trying to set up the camera(don’t know that much about photography) but having fun just reaching out for tips and if anyone free for a fly about one day, would love to crack out dad’s choppers but I’m afraid I don’t know enough about them

1 Like

Hi Nathan / @6281nathan, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

A significant number of our members also own a P3 and just a handful own a Potensic (though not your model) … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

Welcome @6281nathan. This is the place for help and advice. As @chrisjohnbaker has said, I’m up at Caister, although haven’t flown my drone for best part of a year. Give me a shout if you want to get together and I’ll see how I’m fixed.

P3 Advanced is one of the many drones I have among my collection.
Have not flown it for a long time, and, I keep saying that i must upgrade it with the New antenna array that I bought for it about 3 years ago !..
I am quite often around Gt Yarmouth/Caister area.
A friend of a friend lives right in the middle of the marshes in that little “Oasis of trees” you see on the left as you come up the main straight out of Yarmouth.
I often just stop on “Phillips” Private Road and fly away over to the the Windmill near his property.

Its great flying on the beach, I always pick a time when it’s low tide so you have plenty of area to play with.
You will have to let me know what times are good for you, I can come down most anytime as I am now retired and footloose (so to speak).

1 Like

Hi sorry about late reply been a bit busy, like the footage bud looks really nice I’m going over to halvergate this weekend if the weather is good. where would you say the best place to get p3 batteries I only have one for her and would like to get a couple more, can I trust them from the Internet, I got a battery for my laptop and when it turned up it was a cheap copy so a bit weary.
I enjoy flying on the beach if the the wind stays low enough probably not the best time of year to get into drones really

I am up for a meet up Sunday morning if anyone in the Norfolk area is up for it.
Just gonna check on Low Tide tables to see if Beach flying could be an option,but, open to suggestions just about anywhere really!.

Can be about in the morning let’s us know what time your thinking and which beach bud

Low tide at Caister tomorrow is at 9.40am, just looking at some alternatives.
Have you any ideas of locations you fancy.

No bud I’m ok with Caister wife will have car in the morning so can’t go to far anyway, which part of Caister beach do you fly from

Unfortunately some thing has cropped up whereby i cannot make it tomorrow, bloody typical !.
Shame as I was looking forward to a meet up with another of out “local guys”.
Just out of curio?, I assume you have registered your drone with the CAA, and done the online test?.
Are you normally working week days, or are you retired ,like me?.
I will (when we finally get to meet !) bring my P3 Batteries, so you can have a fly with my spare batteries.

1 Like

Hi no worries bud, yep I work Monday to Friday but not weekends unless there is a really good reason to. Yep all legal, its not that clear when your starting out with the operator I’d and flyer I’d thing, seems a bit unnecessary to have two it almost seems like they rushed it though but is what it is, found one seller on ebay with a good rating and good reviews for batteries so may just order another. Just let us know when your next free

Did you mange to the bird up Nathan?, weather looked half decent (for a change!)

1 Like

Yep went out about 10ish good flight a bit windy high up but no problem, only had 20ish mins then came back charged and walked to a field down the road for another go. Had a play with the camera setting got some nice video (looks ok to me anyway) looking forward to the nights drawing out to fly after work

1 Like

The wind at the coast is the downside to beach flying, should not be to much a problem for the P3.
I love the light Morning when hardly anyone is around, been at St Benets Abbey at sunrise in the summer, superb if you can catch it right.
@Paul_M got some superb shots/video there a year or so back, that I remember.

2 Likes

Hi bud been looking at insurance and couple of question if that’s ok
Do i need it (not a problem if I do)
And there seem to be two main organisations bmfa and fpvuk, I have looked at them both and I like the look of fpvuk any advice on them, and do you yourself use either of these or someone else

1 Like

I joined FPVUK, and off the back of joining that get a 50% reduction on my “FlyIcarus” Insurance, (although at present their website is down and has been for sometime, due to them re-hashing it) (so they say!).
I have my MAVIC 2 PRO insured (£89 per annum)with them for when I go abroad as it covers total loss over water, and also fly aways or total loss from any crashes.
Several members on here are Insured with them.
My advice is to certainly have the FPVUK membership (£20 ish), as it covers you for £5 million Public Liability Insurance, should you crash into anything or anyone !.

Cool bud thanks for the advice it’s £19 a year so I’ll do that today, then if I get a more expensive drone later this year or next I’ll probably follow and go with them, van went pop this morning so ended up having to day of so just down the beach for quick fly

1 Like

It’s always better to be safe , than sorry later.
Once you have “Full Member” status, you will find some very useful (downloadable) Documentation that I have put together for all our Members
https://greyarro.ws/t/gadc-member-information-pack/3696
In there, are a number of documents that may be useful to print out and carry with you when you fly.
I have had many confrontations with “joe public” (in the past), whereby producing a few bits of paper have sent the wankers on their way, with their tail between the cheeks of their arse !.
(You can only access the above link once you attain FULL MEMBER status)