Hi from London, Wimbledon

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie living in London, Wimbledon. Got myself a Protek35 a couple of months ago and I am now completely addicted. I also bought a TinyWhoop (Cinebee 75HD) but I find it impossible to fly indoors. I did some swaps and upgrades, learned to solder, and spent countless hours on simulators.

My main issue is finding where to fly. London is a bit of a pain. I am following all the rules: Flyer ID, Operator ID on the drone, and I even applied (and got) permission to fly from the Battersea Heliport where I happen to be on the edge of its No Fly Zone. I also have to call their number before flying. Feels absurd to have to get clearance from air traffic control before flying a 3.5 drone, but, to their credit, they have been quite easy to deal with.

I also signed up to UKFPV so I can fly under the Article 16 rules. Seems too good to be true, does this truly bypass the whole C classification afer Jan 2023? Couldn’t find a clear answer.

Otherwise, sorry for this wall of text. I am keen to meetup if anyone is in the aread, and if you know some good places for bando at a reasonable distance from here.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Hi @Megamale and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Hi Emir @Megamale

I was born, schooled and raised in Wimbledon :blush:

(Now living a bit further north but still visit often as my family still live there)

Try a few searches on here for Morden Park, Richmond Park and Mitcham Common as some have dedicated flying areas too.

Wimbledon Common is probably a good place to fly, and round by the old windmill if you get there early before it fills up with those pesky members of the public :smiley:

2 Likes

Re:

And

Keep an eye out on both of these though as the London heli-routes pass over them both:

1 Like

Hi Emir - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thanks everyone. I have added myself to the user map. Hope to soon connect with more of you!

2 Likes

I used live in Richmond when I was a kid, and later, lived in Putney and worked in Hammersmith in the 90’s. There are quite a few green places around that area as I recall. Mind you, the latter years were spent in the Green Man on Putney Heath :beer:

And that burger van that used to reside opposite where the buses turn round there was to die for :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome and enjoy!

Welcome Emir