Hill forts

I like this concept, using my MP for good rather than Evil

whats other thoughts on it,
I see @ping.spike commented on it on the Mavic Pilots website

5 Likes

Good idea for a future challenge ā€¦ first to take drone pics of all 4,147. :wink:

Joking aside ā€¦ wow, thatā€™s a lot! Didnā€™t know there were that many.

1 Like

I think it would make a great challenge and help out somebody who needs it.
it would validate your flying as in people moaning why you are flying , you can tell them this if for serious archaeological purposes

5 Likes

Itā€™s be good if they had a map of places they need photos and videos for, so people knew where to head :+1:

1 Like

So many are either English Heritage or NT ā€¦ thereā€™s already a bit of an issue.
I wonder if this scheme will negotiate blanket permissions to all Hillforts? :wink:

they have an interactive map on their website similar to our where to fly map.

good point Dave
I will email the guy who is running it to see what he recommends / thinks.

I read that as ā€œwhich of the 4,147 do they need photosā€ ā€¦ because they must already have photos of 1 or 2 of these? :wink:

well I am sending him a link to this forum to respond to your very questions.
cheers guys.

2 Likes

Interesting. I was flying over Maiden Castle just last week! I definitely have a few questions. Give them a poke Paul!

Iā€™d be interested in the kind of footage they are looking for. The stuff I pulled together doesnā€™t seem to fit nicely into their proforma from what Iā€™ve seen - I aimed more for whatā€™s good cinemagraphically, rather than ā€˜fly over North to Southā€™. Also, that place is so massive you canā€™t get a plan view in a single shot - itā€™s huge! Apparently itā€™s the size of 50+ football pitches. I couldnā€™t get the whole thing in the cameraā€™s field of view even from 120m up and 600m away.

1 Like

Thanks Russell
All poked now, looking forward to this.

1 Like

Just had a brief stroll with my index and forefinger on google maps.
You are not wrong, it looks bigger than Heathrow airport

3 Likes

It was my childhood playground. I lived in Dorchester in my teens.
Itā€™s huge!

2 Likes

Would i be right in saying I am fraternising with suvverners?

2 Likes

Is it any where near Yeovil?

1 Like

20 miles south of Yeovil. Used to go to Yeovil swimming baths with the school ā€¦ Dorchester didnā€™t have one.

ā€œFraternisingā€ might be overstating it. LOL! :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I had a butchers, saw it was powered by Esri tooā€¦

Couldnā€™t see a way to view just the areas that need our attention though :smiley:

Thought it sounded familiar.
I had a contract at Augusta Westlands in Yeovil a few years ago.
I had to mix with people who sounded like pirates

1 Like

Nah - around there they sound like The Wurzles. :+1:

2 Likes