Historic site that permits drone use

Morning - I’m working for a landowner who is potentially interested in allowing drone use at a historically interesting site, however there would be a charge involved (parking at the site is free). My question is therefore, if there was an interesting site in a nice location where you knew you had full permission to take-off and land, is this something you’d be happy to pay for? Does this happen anywhere else? Due to the nature of the area, it’s likely the owner would want the operator to have public liability insurance. Thoughts welcome. Thank you.

1 Like

I think it’s fair. For a private land owner. It’s their land, and a people free place is like gold. As long as it’s comparable to a minor parking charge.

1 Like

Interesting, depends on how much the land owner is charging also is there a public footpath near by ?

I know @callum came across this somewhere (in Scotland) … buggered if I can find the thread to find out the cost.
I think it related to something of interest than something historic, per se, but that doesn’t alter the principle.

Definitely. I’d pay a fiver maybe to fly in a nice spot without any hassle.

3 Likes

That will most likely be the warden at the estate that manages the land aroubd the “Harry Potter” viaduct. IIRC it’s £10.

To answer the wider question - yes I’d pay if the charge was reasonable and here I’d state that £5 is what I’d considerreasonable.

3 Likes

There is a permitted footpath around the site. However it’s not a ‘public footpath’ in that it’s the type that can be closed by the landowner, thus appears as an orange dashed line on OS map, rather than green. I don’t think any charge would be excessive. The site currently makes no money, but there’s some upkeep involved in terms of the footpath and the historic site itself. It’s an interesting spot, as although people do come and walk around to see it as it is, as with a lot of historic sites, it can actually be appreciated and viewed much better from the air.

1 Like

Yup - that’s what I recalled - I still couldn’t find the posts. :man_shrugging:

I know it’s mentioned often that a lot of people launch-take vids/pics-land, so as not to pee anyone off.
Somewhere that’s photogenic can take a while to position, wait for the sun, wait for people to get out of the way … etc. So not having to hurry can easily be worth a sensible fee.

2 Likes

Nice one, get a bit more info, charges, how many can fly at once etc

Sounds like a good spot :+1:

Agreed - it appears the warden there appears to be an emminently reasonable man but also slightly misguided.

Just read a post (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=2ahUKEwicxo-7gYLjAhVHa8AKHUUIDwcQFjAEegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pressreader.com%2Fuk%2Fthe-oban-times%2F20190321%2F282471415196578&usg=AOvVaw36GQexJr3A7PbM-FPg2RAE) where he explains it is an admin fee for his time explaining the current laws which seems fine but in the same post he clearly show shis own lack of understanding with this comment atributed to him:

‘It’s a grey area because drones are so new,’ continued Mr Gibson. ‘But they need the landowner’s permission. I don’t like them flying over my house, which is on estate land and therefore illegal, so I warn them not to do that.

Scots would possibly claim their “right to roam” allows them access and thus would potentially also allow them rights to fly a drone.

1 Like

I’d hope that includes parking, decent toilet facilities and lunch thrown in :wink:

3 Likes

Last year saw the annual number of visitors to glenfinnan top 330.000 with many flocking to see the viaduct now immortalized in the harry potter movies

so will charge 10 quid and milk the fact it’s in a movie kerching :thinking:

Yes I think it’s fair only if the area is of GREAT interest and cannot be accessed by taking off and landing from its proximity.

Yeah that’s it, Glenfinnan Viaduct.

£10 charge.

I spent around 4 hours there, was nice not having to rush or worry about getting asked to move.

5 Likes

My own view…If you are taking off from his property to take photos then an admission fee would seem in order, but what about other people who are not flying, just taking photos, is there a charge for them. To take photos? After all a drone is simply a flying camera.
if you are taking off from public land then he cannot charge you for flying over his property and taking photos, nobody owns the airspace.
My opinion is that this man has seen a way to make a fast buck from those that are willing to pay. I don’t think it’s a good idea to endorse this money making racket as it opens up a precedent that others will start to copy. We already have one guy charging drone operators to take photos of the ‘Harry Pothead’ viaduct, justifying his charge by saying he is ensuring that flyers know the rules of drone flying, when he doesn’t know the rules himself, or has made his own up to frighten people into thinking that what he is doing is legitimate and not extortion.
If this doesn’t get knocked on the head, we will see all sorts of places charging to overfly a drone.
I fly a paramotor, I wonder how he would charge me if I flew over with my camera. He can’t because nobody owns the airspace. And a drone is no different.

2 Likes

Do you blame him? We all need to make a buck.

2 Likes

If there is a public footpath (that crosses private land) do you need permission to take off and land.?

No you can take off/land from a public footpath

Here’s a reply from the CAA to one of our guys who was enquiring about prohibition of flying over private land owned by English Heritage

1 Like