Horse Sand Fort

Its a shame this fort has fallen into such disrepair. Could be beautiful!

18 Likes

Enjoyed watching your video - thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks! :grinning:

Nice video, enjoyed that. :+1:

1 Like

What a fantastic place that is never seen one like it before, what was it used for, :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you! The forts are really interesting structures. They were originally intended to be defence forts and gun emplacements.

I have done a bit of googling and just been blown away by the fact that they were built for the Napoleonic wars in the 1860’s. I know at least one has been turned in to a hotel but you would think that they all would have some form of conservation order on them.
Thank you again for sending me down a learning rabbit hole.

2 Likes

They are up for sale at the moment too. The one I filmed here sold not too long ago for £700k. Looks like a seagull won the lottery…

No buyers for the other two yet.

Those forts are regularly up for sale : https://greyarro.ws/t/spitbank-fort-and-others-are-for-sale/19149

Flown out to, and around, Spitbank Fort several times, as have others …

2 Likes

Brilliant Vid…the Seagulls flying below your Drone gave a real sense of depth.
A look back into the past…Well Done. :+1:

1 Like

Nice screen grabs…shows just how bleak it must of been manning that Fort. :+1:

2 Likes

Enjoyed that, Thank you.

1 Like

quality!

1 Like

Manning it.

What about the build?

:scream:

1 Like

Ryan air put in a bid for the Fort but then realised they would have problems landing their Holiday Jets on it… :scream_cat:

There are quite a few fortifications in the area

1 Like

I’ve had a Litchi mission all set up and ready to fly, for the last 3 or so years, to take in the three off-shore forts (Spitbank, No Man’s Land and Horse Sand) in one flight.

Headed down there a few times only for the weather to be against me. (Well - against my MP, really.) And then Covid and lockdowns seemed to conspire.

One day! :crossed_fingers:

The Palmerston forts are very interesting architecturally… fascinating to see especially the few land built ones that can be walked around inside. I have never seen the areal view of this before…

Nice footage, what is the music? did you fly out from the beach or from a boat?

1 Like

Thanks! Music is Luke Morris - Love Shack
I flew from the beach.

1 Like

That Horse Sand Fort is quite a way out from the shore. I think if I was doing the flight over it then I would need plenty of Toilet Paper. :laughing:

1 Like