How many drone pilots care about regs?

Are there? :thinking:

I’d guess at zero.

I’m clearly in the wrong job :rofl:

1 Like

Any drone used for commercial purpose, now a mini2 could be used after being hacked

Hacks is such an ugly word.

Much nicer

DJI made a rod for themselves when they started ‘taunting’ the modding scene adding lines of code with arsey comments in them.

Why did I mod my original MP, DJI decided that a WW2 airfield thats been gone since the 50’s that is used by the local glider club (very friendly and accommodating by the way) should be a ‘No Fly Zone’, to take the piss even more they had it in the wrong spot so I couldn’t even turn a propellor in the garden

A M2 could be used without being modded.

100%

2 Likes

I get the reason behind the mods but regardless of what name given it would still leave us without a valid insurance, what would put me off any mod being made is i looked at a post on here how a drone fell from the sky and ended up a road I know come the end of the day we all have the right to go about enjoying our hobbies in a way that suits us

Insurers will always try and worm their way out of paying.

I have a friend, her first job after law school was to phone insurance claimants informing them of some loophole that would stop their claim being paid.

Insurance small print also states that your drone most be running the most upto date firmware and software, if we did that all DJI products would be falling out of the sky.

I agree with you but it still leaves a big can of worms when asked if pilots care about the regs, when most of us at some point show disregard for the rules in place as exceeding VLOS any mod to allow us to fly above the 120m limit like I said it’s just a big can of worms

Any unmodded Mini 2 will let you go to 500m

1 Like

bit of an awkward one considering the amount of us flying home builds, does that mean our insurance doesnt cover it? or it does because its still in the state it was when i originally finished building it? as far as im aware the bfma insurance is still covering the home builds.

1 Like

Wow I think I’ll stop at 120m but you get what I’m saying

The mods can be turned on or off in the app and once the drone takes off, it is locked to the mod selected and can’t be switched during flight.

If you are going to fly in an area where the DJI NFZ is wrong then it’s up to you. You are even given a couple of warning acceptance notifications you have to tick to accept full responsibility.

I think if you turn it off, you know what you are doing and where you are flying. So it’s completely on you.

Dave @Sky21 and as if by magic here’s a perfect example of a completely pointless DJI-only restriction: Hi all! New member here in Cornwall

The area in red is the actual / legal flight restriction zone and every other colour is a restriction enforced by DJI on all their drones.

It’s absolutely bonkers.

1 Like

Anyway, I’ll stop banging on about DJI modding now, you get my point :blush:

Whilst I understand the need for modding (although it takes a second or two to tick the box and fly) - are you not in breach of the Drone Code by not updating the firmware and therefore does this have any implications upon flying?

What I do agree with is that DJI play it too safe and add in too many zones.Those zone that they have might not be accurate either.

Height restrictions are another annoyance at airports - I can understand why - but when Southampton Airport allows cruise ships of 80 to 100m in the 60m altitude range and yet you can’t fly a drone higher than 60m to look at said ships it does make a mockery of the restriction. I bet the ships do not get permission to sail there from ATC.

So perhaps I am saying modding is good - but maybe I would have one drone modded and another drone fully updated. I have never tried it, so am not sure of the real benefits - but that is for another forum.

Yup, it’s the altitude zones that get me. I wouldn’t mind if it was logical but in a lot of cases (like ex military sites that either don’t function any more or are only used for gliders) which is just frustrating.

More so when you can fly in the actual rpz of a protected aerodrome (with permission) and have nothing to unlock at all.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not all of the dji zones are that easy to deal with.

Some can be done from the phone/device when you’re on the ground but some like altitude zones need to be submitted to dji before your flight and imported to the device before hand.

Very annoying when you think you have done all of that and you get to the location and you can’t go above 60m and spend the best part of 2 hours emailing DJI support trying to convince them that the “airport” its trying to protect isn’t an airport as such and doesn’t need permission to fly in.

2 Likes

Complicated area and I see the point. I guess in the south west things are easier.

And much easier in a non DJI world ;o)

Maybe, but that is all I know :slight_smile: