How much 4G data per flight?

I’m going over to the dark side and am waiting for an iPad Pro with 4G to be delivered. Some apps I would like to use just don’t have Android equivalents. I intend to use it exclusively for flight-related activities and some apps will slurp data before or during flight.

Any idea how much data an average flight consumes? I don’t want to grab an unlimited data SIM if I’m only going to be using 1 Qb a month :slight_smile:

Using the DJI GO4 app you mean? Just map tiles I guess, it’d be negligible, and even that could be cached before you leave home :man_shrugging:

Everything else could be done when you’re back home on WiFi?

That’s if you even need mobile data at all? I don’t fully understand your intended use case… :thinking:

However, if you’re talking about live streaming to Facebook or something then that’s a whole other kettle of fish.

1 Like

That’s a hell of a lot :wink:

Why not just tether it ?

I run my MP on a SIM-less phone that’s also in Airplane mode to prevent any other accidental connections taking place.

1 Like

Just checked my phone and …

That’s about 18 months worth, litchi a bit less and Hangar hardly any

1 Like

I may be wrong but Litchi seems reluctant to upload missions out in the field even though I have connected and found the map area at home. I can load one but when that is finished I can’t always load the next. I’m also looking to run DJI GS Pro for some missions I also want to give a couple of mapping apps a go.

I’ve tried bluetooth tethering with my Android phone to Android tablet but not always succesfully.

I’ve never had the hassles you speak of with Litchi, It’s always loaded what I ask of it, both missions and orbits.

Might be worth playing with the hotspot, again I’ve never had an issue, connecting anything to my iPhone including Kindle, Firestick, Nintendo Switch and my MacBook. Granted that was all to an iPhone not an android device.

Back to DJI GO usage I do lots Facebook live with my MP so that’s included too in the above total

Thanks Chris, looks like I’ll be heading toward the low usage, budget end of the data SIM market!

If you look at VOXi and fancy it (voda network) let me know £20 each amazon voucher for a referral :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Chris but just sorted out a second SIM from my current supplier :frowning:

1 Like

Have you considered Vodafone unlimited data plans and just tether? Is use this without issues for my Smart Controller and Android tab