How to create high resolution 360 Panoramics

Exactly. Replacing the sky is easy … if you want to do that in PS.

But [stuck record alert] … this workflow is not about “replacing half your image” with someone else’s photo. That said, there are times when you want or need to, in that case … go for gold.

Oh - I’d agree - was just answering the question (that was in response to your "PS - I can use PS Sky Replacement :wink: ).

For a 360, sky replacement also causes a total eff-up of the stitching blend from far left to far right.

My personal workflow is to just crop the sky level and use a (sampled) blue fill.

1 Like

100% agree. And sorry, wasn’t replying to you specifically, but the thread (despite hitting the wrong reply button :grimacing:)

1 Like

eg: this hi-res pano that needed a lot of work in Hugin to get the correct sand ripples to stitch to the correct sand ripples - but having done that my leg shadows had moved and are “fractured” - LOL!

1 Like

One I did using the above, thanks Chris @clinkadink

I posted it to Google :grinning:

1 Like

You can force the ‘Panorama’ exif in the render settings (on by default)

But why you would to go through the process only for FB to compress the shit out of it.

What a useful post!
Must try this as soon as the rain/gale stops…

1 Like

I have seen videos on YT where the 26 images are taken then the drone is handheld and 5-7 images of the sky are taken, these are added to the 26 pano images and stitched, no filling in or sky replacement needed. I have a DSLR with an 7.5mm fisheye lens, when the wind stops blowing a gale and the rain decides to give us a break here I am going to experiment, I figure with the fisheye lens I will only need one sky image and any edge distortion will be hidden in the overlap as I only need to use the centre part of the image. If I leave the drone up there I could even get the drone in the finished pano.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan, please post back you results.

Another consideridation with processing the topmost sky section is that, in many cases, there are clouds, and typically, these clouds move between each of the 26 captured images (unlike the ground, which is relatively static). Which is why DJI and my workflow above uses a method to blend/smooth this movement.

1 Like

But there is sea, lakes, rivers … and, of course, whilst not moving, there’s the stitching impossibility of sand ripples in my example above, and fields of corn can be equally/more challenging. :wink:

But agree on trying to match a DSLR clouded sky … matching focal length, barrel distortion, colour temp … and moving clouds … I don’t see that it’s worth all the effort to fake something.

If you REALLY want a non-faked full 360, then a Parrot Anafi is the drone to get, with its gimbal that does point straight up.

1 Like

My workflow is very similar, but I use Microsoft ICE and Affinity photo. I don’t bother too much with sorting out the sky because I imagine the bird’s eye view is a chance for people to see what’s below, not above. If I can I’ll hide under a tree or behind a wall so I’m not in the photo but where that’s not possible you can usually spot me in that bright green hiking jacket, kind of like a signature. :smiley:

1 Like

Me too, for the majority of mine, but it’s no longer supported/developed by MS, or downloadable from their site.

Strange - because it did a swift/easy/good job most of the time.

Note to self : I have the downloaded install file somewhere, which I should locate and protect.

1 Like

Or attach an Insta360 to your bird of choice

Why have a dog and get something else to do the barking?

1 Like

Good idea, I should do the same. :+1:

1 Like

ICE-2.0.3-for-64-bit-Windows.msi
ICE-2.0.3-for-32-bit-Windows.msi

1 Like

From a few updates ago to Windows 10 ICE is prevented from running. B******s.

I now use AGP (with a c***k - well, no one is losing any money as it was ‘terminated’ a while ago) but ICE was so much easier and usually did an excellent job.

ICE still working for me with Win10 all up-to-date.

1 Like

Ditto.

1 Like