Huawei MatePad 10.4 advice needed for GO4 app

Hi everybody.

I have been through every thread and list I can find in my long research on which tablet to get to fly my mavic pro platinum. My samsung tab 2 never worked, so I have been using my cheap chinaphone until recently. I decided the time had come to buy a new tablet, but I didnt want a second hand one and all the lists are outdated now and I had difficulty finding a current android tablet. I have finally decided the Huawei MatePad 10.4 64GB/RAM 4GB may be the one.

Is anybody else using this? I read a review on Huaweis website saying it was good for the Go4 app.

The main question I have left is - do I need a cellular connection for decent maps? I used my Samsung to fly my Phantom 3 ok, but the maps were very basic. I dont have a phone I can tether to at present.

Any help, insight and advice would be welcome, I know its a much discussed topic but devices move on so quickly and I cant keep up! My head is melting…

Kinda… and kinda not.

The GO4 app is so old now that you don’t need a powerful tablet to run it. Any “old” tablet will be up to the job.

I think GO4 supports cached maps? 4.1.22 does for sure… (meaning no cell required) - unsure able the latest though.

You could always pair it to your mobile hotspot though if you actually need maps for some reason.

1 Like

Except for my Samsung Tab S2, unfortunately. If I hadn’t made that mistake I wouldnt be looking for one now. I found out later that there are a few versions and I got the wrong one. Not keen to do that again.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, The lists I looked at made me decide on a MediaPad but the MatePad is the newer version apparently, so I hope it is as good for Go4.

It sounds like I dont need cellular then, thats good to know.

1 Like

On rechecking the review, I realised it was the djiFly app that was mentioned, not go4. I hope its ok for both.

Unless anyone knows different?

Doh :man_facepalming:t2:

That changes everything :pensive:

DJI Fly is a very different beast.

Please now refer to this thread for all the information you need: Best tablet

For what its worth Andy, I use the Huawei MediaPad, as you have already stated, the predecessor to the MatePad.
FYI mine works well with DJI Fly(I also use my Huawei Mobile on Occasions, that works well too).
As for the Maps, I only use them occasionally, and on those occasions I tether to my mobile.
Hope this helps a little.

1 Like