Hurst Castle

1. Flying over should not be a problem - they don’t own the airspace. As long as you take off and land on land where there is nothing to prevent you, then you are OK.
    Unfortunately, some EH/NT staff are not always aware of those two things - so still may challenge you.
    With respect to Hurst Spit - I’ve never worked out exactly what they “control” … as to whether it’s the whole Spit, or not.

2. Technically - VLOS is what it is. However, I’ve flown across to the IoW from further up the coast at Lepe (Lepe Beach - Wed 27th Feb - Anyone? - #93 by OzoneVibe), 2.8km away. I do only do this over the sea, though, in my “defence”, where the likelihood of being an issue is at an absolute minimum.

3. DJI impose minimalistic/simplistic restrictions - very simply because the memory needed for a global database that represents every national/local restriction would require a ridiculously large memory and would be needing updates every day.
    Whether or not one over-rides the DJI no fly zones, one still has to abide by the laws and restrictions imposed by the country you are in.
    Sometimes these are larger than those implemented by DJI, sometimes smaller.