I can confirm that "Find my Drone" works on MA2

You can guess from the title that I had to use Find My Drone this morning.
Long story short:- Nice day, went out to local reservoir, having a great time and in my opinion the drone went sidewards left, into some trees, not one the water.
The trees were the otherside of a small inlet so I had to walk about a mile before i found it, about 10 metres from waters edge well within the tree line there she was looking sad, still flashing, props off. So my question is: Before i touch anything, how do i recover the data from the flight for you guys to look at to see what went wrong. Like I said the drone went to the left and I believe without my input on the stick.
Can you come to the rescue and point me to a step by step of how to get the data, as I expect my insurers will want it anyway.
Cheers
Mike

You can create a free account at airdata.com

From there, they have guides how to find the FlightRecord files on you phone, (or tablet?) and you can upload the last few log files.

Please do ask if you get stuck with my hastily-typed pointers.

1 Like

@BadManners Thanks for that…on with it now
Mike

1 Like

It will be interesting to see what the issue was :thinking: Do let us know of your findings :+1:

@D0c.Col
Here’s the link from Airdata Apr 27th, 2022 10:39AM | General / Overview | DJI Fly log 1.5.10 | United Kingdom | Airdata UAV
(first time of use so hopefully it gives some relevant info that will be understood on here)
I would be grateful if anyone who sees anything dodgy tells me please.
Mike

It’s showing that you had the right stick hard over to the left before impact.

In Airdata, click on Notifications, top-right of the map, then click on “HD Flight Player” at bottom left of the map. Then click on the play icon.

As it plays, it indicates the stick inputs.

2 Likes

@OzoneVibe

Oh Shit! why the hell would i hold that position. I was convinced it took itself there as I thought I was going in a straight line.

Thank you BTW for the explanation of Airdata. I also noticed that I set the camera to do a Pano yet left it in that setting afterwards, Oh Shit again.

Lots of excellent info in Airdata. :+1:

Might want to get a faster SD card too ;o)

1 Like

@milkmanchris
I found that one the other day in the drawer so though for a change i would change it in the drone. Now I know why it was in the bloody drawer! I forgot to format it as well.
Everyday’s a school day!

1 Like

@OzoneVibe Great snippet of info that led me to register and play with Airdata. I did notice in the info of @Speedbird’s flight that it had an imbalance and left hand bias but your explanation was spot on. :ok_hand:

Take a look at the sensors section and particularly the compass, I had a compass failure on my mini 2 and had no control, RIP mini 2.

A compass failure wouldn’t make the right stick move to the left, though, would it.

I doubt it, unless there was a controller fault or interference but auto return to home and the compass combined with a low number of satellites for GPS isn’t good.

Was never initiated

There were 15 until it was in the trees.

@OzoneVibe

It sounds like you think there is a possibility that an error / failure took place. I would lay money, regardless of what the Notifications section indicate that I wasn’t inputting to the left on the joystick.
Thinking about it, a few days earlier I was at the same area with a friend and the drone / controller lost connection, the app closed and the screen went black RTH had initiated but the app powered up as the drone returned to it’s home position where i took over. I landed, rebooted app and rebooted iphone and all seemed ok.
Now that I have Airdata i’ll see if I can work out anything to corroborate the suggestions above.

This is now getting wierd!

Trying to find more info on the other flights mentioned in my reply to @OzoneVibe there seems to be no records at all for at least 4 maybe 5 short-is (5mins) flights. They were at a different location with a church spire involved so I know they are not showing on Airdata.???

The stick information is being recorded direct from the RC by the Fly App on your phone, so it’s not subject to any signal issues.
Prior to it being in an extreme left position, there is constant variation in its position (in the manner of manual input, not a technical issue) and within a second of it impacting trees the stick centres.

The RC, and hence the recording of the stick positions, has no way of “knowing” that there has been an “impact”, and the timing is consistent with letting go of the sticks as soon as impact has been seen in the video download.

Can’t really comment on the flights with no logs. But the app closing won’t initiate RTH - you can fly the drone without a phone even attached.
RTH will have been initiated by the drone losing it’s connection to the RC.

But, indeed, in the flight for which you have posted the data, there was a loss of connection @ 11m 49s …

… but stick response is shown to have been re-gained at 12m 19.6s.

1 Like

@OzoneVibe
I’ve learned a lot from your previous posting, thank you.
As time goes by I will use Airdata more and become more familiar with it. I

n the meantime I’m off to the shop to post the drone off to Heliguy for inspection and report back to my insurers who, hopefully will cover the repair.

I will post separately on that subject.

Thanks again for your knowledge Dave.

Mike

My dji fpv kicked left whilst doing my controller/drone checks before flying. Very odd behaviour, I hover at 2m to test, then all of a sudden it kicked left by .5m then to 2m. Keeping the drone close to me and going through the stick movements, it was too unstable to fly as I couldn’t trust this random kick left. Speaking to all the clever people here, I recallibrated the stick and it’s been good since. No idea why this would just happen to throw a wobbly!