I can’t decide between the DJI Avata and the Mini 4 Pro

So, next year im going to Kos and dont really want to take my M3 so the wife has agreed to let me buy a smaller drone but im torn. On one hand there is the Mini 4 Pro, yeah great, awsome bit of kit and only benefit for my other than travel is the controler being compatible with my M3. THEN there is the Avata something very different and would compliment my current videos with different footage. Also the Motion2 AND the Goggles are not compatible with my M3 so lots of extra bonuses there. Downside is flight time. Avatas short 18 mins isnt great…

I just cant decide!! Anyone had the same issues? if so what did you do?

Oh and i work for the NHS so cant afford both lol.

Please help

If I’m reading right sorry it’s late :face_with_spiral_eyes: I think you will find the mini 4 pro controller will Not work with the M3 I’m guessing mavic 3 ? as the transmission is different, 03 on the M3 04 on the mini 4 & or controller if that be the RC2 or RCN2

As for your other question I guess it’s personal preference really as both great & fun drones,
I guess with the mini you got the option of stills & video as with the avata I’m guessing is used more for videos speed etc, I don’t own an avata so hard to comment but many on here as you probably know love them & are well rated :blush:

@Proteous Like @Kirky Rich says the RC controller for the M4Pro is only compatible with the Air 3. For me, I would go with the M4Pro anyway as the Avata is more about fast aerobatic fun and less about cinematic video or photography IMO.

I maybe biased though as just bought the m4Pro! You could buy a new or used M3Pro though if money is a bit tight! I’ll be selling mine soon. :rofl::rofl:

Oh i would deffinitely go for the M4Pro if i go that way. its just that i already have the Mavic 3 for that sort of footage so it would be a little redundant after the holiday is my only worry. The only bonus that would bring is a speedy setup for quick stops… grrrrr Im just trying to decide what i would get more use out of.

Factor in the need for a spotter with Avata.

Is Mrs willing to wander round on your geek missions ?

I think they are both very tempting, but I went for the mini 4 pro. Reasons being:-

• Under 250g, so life is SO much easier with all the Karens out there.
  • Wearing goggles, means you have to have someone else with you every time you fly, which would restrict using the Avata far too much.

If I could justify the cost of both though, I’d get both :slight_smile:

Ahh well i rarely go out alone when i fly for that reason anyway so thats not an issue.

Neither of those are an issue for me. I am also A2 (for what thats worth these days) So im less restricted anyway. (Or was) but it still helps with the Karens when you produce a card that says your qualified, for most times it shuts them up as they dont know any better. For what, when and where i fly, having a sub 250g drone is actually a disadvantage for me hence my main drone is nearly 1kg lol. I want something to complement my current equipment rather than just being another drone in a collection.

so far the Avata is winning the race…

it’s probably worth mentioning that the goggles 2 and integra ARE compatible with a lot of drones, including the mini 3 pro

but more importantly DJI Air 3 which uses the DJI 04 transmission system

so given that the DJI air 3 has been allowed to access the goggles 2 which are DJI 03… DJI “may” allow the firmware to access the mini 4 pro

there is also thin rumours about that the goggles 2 may be replaced with a goggles 3 … which may be 04 native… because DJI have been discounting goggles 2 products (like the avata when sold with the goggles)

there is also rumour that the avata may be replaced but DJI have not discounted the avata when it is being sold alone… so who knows…

watch this space

Well, i did it. i went for the Avata. It gives me more over all than just another drone. And if i do decide to go down the FPV route in the future, i can 3D print my own drone lol

2 Likes

Good luck with that!

But enjoy the AVATA and the world of FPV, it’s a great little intro to FPV and the motion controller is a fun way to learn and get used to it!

1 Like

If it doesn’t come with it I do suggest trying to pick up the FPV2 controller for your Avata. The Motion controller is fun but very limiting.

2 Likes

100% agree with this and exactly what I did after buying just the avata drone.

Will allow you to fly in manual which is more fun and lots faster

Oh its deffinitely on the ‘to buy’ list but i thought the fly more kit was more important at the time.

1 Like