ID operator labels

I have a question for the FPV guys.

Who actually has an operator and flyer ID for their FPV drones and if so where do you put it on?

I ask as I have never actually seen anyone with an FPV drone that has an ID on it.

Also have any of you taken the DMARES?

Sorry to go on, but there is always talk of the C ratings coming into force and everyone panicking to get drones that are under 250g. Then the “oh but in x amount of time I will not be able to fly my drone within x distance from a person or structure….!”

How about FPV?

Isn’t this the whole point of Bando’s? So you can fly in tight spaces and around and inside buildings.

Will the oncoming regulations only drive the FPV drone flyers underground so to speak?
Who will police the oncoming regulations and how will it effect the FPV world?

1 Like

Yes, mine are all labelled - Dymo label on one of the arms :wink:

1 Like

Ok. So I put my operator ID on all my drones. I use a label printer and tape it to the carbon frame.

As for 250g and C ratings. It’s easy. I’m a member of FPV UK and have special exemptions under article 16. You can get the same from BMFA. Both are inexpensive and come with millions of third party insurance.

4 Likes

No one……:grinning:

3 Likes

Yeah I label print with a dymo style one the operator ID and my phone number. Stick on bottom and have spares for if/when they come off. Tbh most fpv close range so… Policing we just kicked out of area I guess! Lol. Not that been kicked out, only shouted at by farmer at willington I think, but he has no authority

1 Like

I was always under the impression that article 16 is more relevant for over 250, and that there really is nothing beyond whats covered on the normal law that impacts/benefits sub250.
What benefits does it bring to sub250?

About the tags, I’m guilt of not having one yet, its hard to get something on my current drones (small 1s ones). But in my defense, I haven’t really flown out in public places either. The one time I did, I just wrote the id on a piece of paper and had it stuck under the rubber band that holds the battery (held up through all the flights). You can also write it with a sharpie on the arms or anywhere visible.

To be fair I can’t remember. Quite possibly none.

I have both sub 250g and over 250g drones and use common sense when deciding which is appropriate. Safety, annoyance, etc

Yeah others have basically said it already but if you’re in FPVUK or BMFA you’re fine to fly FPV in suitable locations in the specific category for aircraft up to 25kg. They’re not included under the C rating stuff so you’re exempt on that. You do still have to label with your OpID though, and do a risk assessment if it’s a built-up area like an urban park.

I keep my paperwork with me when I fly just in case I’m challenged but it hasn’t happened once yet. If the police can’t be bothered to show up at the park to deal with the teenagers who smoke weed, shout abuse at passers-by, run around with a shopping trolley and leave empty bottles of smirnoff around I doubt they’re going to come because someone’s flying an FPV drone (which the force’s drone team is likely to filter out anyway when the report says it’s 2 people because they’ll know it’s likely a licenced pilot with a spotter).

As for when the C rating regulations come in, we know now that the legacy period is going to be extended, perhaps substantially. The regulatory agency to administrate the ratings isn’t anywhere near being up and running yet, and they’ve recently consulted on extending it.

Tks for the further input.

1 Like

You may want to obscure your ID number :wink:

1 Like

thanks for advice!

Sub 250g Drone, Printed Ariel 11 (because the letters have to be more than 3mm high) and stuck to the side of a mini SE with sellotape

The best font I have found is Banhscrift SemiCondensed 12 which is exactly the required 3mm high and very compact.

My E58 comes with a non-stick coating, which had to be scraped off with a sharpened screwdriver.

Then the printed label was glued on, and covered with Invisible Sellotape for waterproofing.

1 Like

@timxjr1300 & @bannerman100 , it’s very kind of you to share your flying camera thoughts, but there’s already a fairly lengthy thread on the topic: Where best to attach your CAA Operator ID label?

In truth, this question could easily have gone in that thread, but as it was specifically aimed at FPV, I guess it makes sense to have its own thread in the FPV section. It doesn’t really matter, we’re all one big, happy family here, right? :grin:

Back on topic: while my Mini is labelled, I currently don’t have anything on any of my FPV quads. I guess I should rectify that. I suppose it’s because I slowly drifted (struggled? :laughing:) into the FPV thing, and it feels far more “off-road” and unregulated, so I didn’t really give it a thought. A bit like how all my cars have licence plates, but I wouldn’t expect to need one if I bought myself an autograss racer.

As an aside, I have always fancied autograss and, had I the space and the skills for the kit, it looks like I could have done it for a smidge less than I’ve spent on FPV so far! :astonished: :thinking:

2 Likes

The rules are here: Labelling your drone or model aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority

It says:

How to label your drone or model aircraft

Your operator ID must be:

• visible from the outside, or within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool
  • clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm
  • secure and safe from damage
  • on the main body of the aircraft

Dymo / Brother label tape should do (large font setting) or if you don’t have one:

@SkyOkapi

We do know the rules.
If you go to the start of the thread I asked

“Who puts operator labels on FPV drones”

Thank you for posting the “rules”
If you read all that thread. The post above yours covers this.

This was not the question of what are the rules.

Many thanks anyway for your input.

1 Like

Ahhhhhh. Oh well. I tried, and failed.

1 Like

Have you never noticed mine mate? Have them on the ones that are flyable

@speatuk this is out of my own curiosity, but surely if you are flying inside a building, you dont need the op ID? Not related to your original question I know, and I can’t answer that as I don’t fly fpv, but most of you nutters seem to fly inside buildings of some sort. As I say, just curious and interested