If you're flying indoors

So, as I am sure we have all done over the past few weeks of poor weather, I got to thinking about flying my drone inside the house. I consider myself to be a pretty good flyer (recognising that I am still relatively new to these things) and the prop guards had been in the box since it arrived.

I would liken the experience to herding cats. I tell you what, it is a completely different beast without GPS.

Observations: for those thinking of trying it out.

1. FIT PROP GUARDS.
  2. When it took off, it drifted backwards, quite quickly so launch from the centre of the room. It bounced off my office wall.
  3. Even in C mode it is quick. it made my 4 bed semi feel like a shoe box.
  4. it doesnt appear to stop as quickly as it does in the outdoors. this could be down to perspective.
  5. it scared the bejesus out of me.
  6. the battery runs down much faster with prop guards on.
  7. it scared the bejesus out of me again.
    8 FIT PROP GUARDS

I managed to negotiate my way upstairs and into my bedroom where it was greeted by a shouty wife saying ‘do you mind, i am on the phone!’

So, came back down stairs, literally banging everything, bouncing off the bannister, the wall, you name it.

Am i glad i tried it? Yes. Will i try it again? highly unlikely.

Oh, and did i mention, FIT PROP GUARDS, I guarantee you will need them in the average sized uk home.

4 Likes

Whatever you do, don’t fly it in a tiny space, or near walls, or ceilings. The draft from a Mini has the effect of dragging it towards objects in confined spaces. Fortunately I learned this with the guards on.

2 Likes

So - flying it whilst sat on the loo in the smallest room … ??
:rofl:

2 Likes

Not quite. We’d had a small space under the stairs turned into a downstairs loo so you’re right about the room. My wife decided the loo was for women & grandkids only so I thought I’d wind her up taking photos of it with the Mini. No one was in the room at the time. Good job seeing how the Mini was bouncing off everything.

2 Likes

:+1:I.ve tried it and it works

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Yep. I learnt the hard way with my MP. Thought I’d be ok in Atti mode. But nope.
Didn’t take into consideration the WiFi router and electronic equipment that clearly caused me to stack it, albeit and a v low speed and height only about 3ft.
New gimbal vibration board, forward facing sensors and new ribbon plus £96 later it’s flying beautifully, photos and vids great again thanks to https://southwalesdrones.org/