Info regarding Registration of Drones

As for the registration side of things I think we are being kept in the dark as it’s a sensitive time with Brexit.

The timeline given by government coincides with the EASA/EU regulations.

It’s a draft proposal but it gives you a good idea of how things will work when implemented.

For registration it’s not likely to be someone like DJI. It will need to be an organisation within member state.

Here’s what it has to say.

Article 7
Registration of UAS operators and their UA

1. Each operator shall register itself, and where applicable, its UA, in the Member State
    where the operator has its principal place of business or place of residence in
    accordance with Subpart A and Subpart B of the Annex (Part-UAS) to this Regulation.
  2. Each registered UAS operator shall obtain a registration number according to the format
    defined by EASA.
  3. Member States shall ensure that their registries are digital and interoperable. Records
    shall be updated, accurate, secure and accessible in real time by authorised authorities,
    organisations or persons.
  4. If a Member State designates one or more entities, different from the competent
    authority referred to in Article 8(1), then:
    (a) the areas of competence of each entity or competent authority shall be clearly
    defined; and
    (b) coordination shall be established between the designated entities and the
    competent authorities to ensure the effective implementation of this Regulation.

Article 8

Designation of the competent authority

1. A Member State shall designate a competent authority with the following
    responsibilities:
    (a) issue certificates of remote pilot competency;
    (b) issue authorisations, acknowledge receipt of declarations, and oversee ‘specific’
    category UAS operations;
    © establish airspace restrictions;
    (d) enforce this Regulation in respect of UAS operators and remote pilots.
  2. If a Member State designates more than one entity as a competent authority:
    (a) the areas of competence of the competent authority shall be clearly defined; and
    (b) coordination shall be established between the designated competent authorities
    and the entities referred to in Article 7(4) to ensure the effective implementation
    of this Regulation.
  3. The competent authority shall:
    (a) have a suitable organisational structure, appropriately documented procedures,
    and adequate resources; and
    (b) employ or have access to personnel with sufficient knowledge, professional
    integrity, experience and training to perform the allocated tasks.
  4. Member States shall ensure that the personnel of the competent authority do not
    perform activities related to this Regulation when there is evidence that this could result,

It would make sense for CAA to take roll of competent authority and will probably charge a (hopefully) small fee to cover administration of the scheme.

I would tend to see things being delegated to some independent body as with paragliding and hang-gliding being “controlled” by the BHPA.

So - for drones - perhaps this might be something BMFA might embrace.

Difficult to anticipate how things will roll out.

1 Like

There is every chance of that as they have made provisions for the duties to be split between multiple organisations.

I think this will be awarded to someone’s like Altitude Angel or perhaps even BMFA.

Either way, it’ll be a huge cash cow for whoever wins that contract :wink:

1 Like

Hi guys,
Always remember one thing in this country of ours now days you don’t have any enjoyment for free any more. Registration of Drone will cost and will go to the Government - remember they are running a bankrupt country (yes I said bankrupt ) hence reasons why they want to tax or levy anything they can get their hands on.
John

1 Like

It would be unusual for such a legislative requirement for this to be handed out to a non government controlled body - vehicle registration is never likely to be handed over to the AA or RAC. It will probably fall to CAA in the first instance (as they can seek more funding to make it happen!). I believe the FAA has this role in the US and have recently back tracked on some of the initial requirements, reducing the bureaucracy for the FAA and owners. Others will know more I am sure.

As for policing, it will be the same as most minor laws. Individuals will be prosecuted when something goes wrong, or a persons reports you and they know where you live, and then they find that they are not flying in accordance with the law.

Honestly, from experience its this type of work, people are probably still scratching their heads trying to work out how to make this work and what its going to cost - but I do believe that there will be a cost to the drone owner as it is very much policy in most cases that the costs should fall to the user.

At the moment, we are just focussing on the thousands of multi-rotor drone users. However, doesn’t this also cover the tens of thousands of model aircraft users? Isn’t this a requirement that covers all SUAV’s? And I don’t think they law makers really understand just how many of those there are as many don’t even come from kits but just from plans.

And don’t underestimate the power and danger that comes from some model aircraft. My brother-in-law (a very experienced model aircraft builder and flyer) has just purchased an off the shelf jet that is so powerful the flight time is only 3 mins on a £100 battery. When I asked how fast it flies his response was f****** fast! If this landed on someones head it would do a lot more damage than my MA. Its in the photo below, and for sale its at least 3 feet long. And there are many much larger.

See above re paragliding/hang-gliding. All licencing is through BHPA … and you can fly far higher/further in either than any drone will go … AND there’s a human (sometimes 2) on board.

It will cover all model aircraft and UAVs.

If EASA plans go ahead drones purchased will start to come with different CE ratings CE1, CE2, CE3 and CE4.

There will be different restrictions depending on what rating the drone has.

It may be legal to fly 50m over people and property with a mavic or phantom but illegal with a home build or racing drone with no rating.

Didn’t realise that Dave - but my money is still on CAA - I don’t think the likes of the BMFA could cope with the numbers - its just not that sort of organisation - but happy to be wrong as a member!!

So how will they deal with the home built models?

1 Like

I wasn’t in the sport in the early days, but I’m sure BHPA didn’t start big.
It’s still not really that large (last time I was closely involved). But it does also coordinate instructor licensing, schools and training itself, and negotiations with CAA on behalf of members, and lots more besides.

Ill try find that part of the draft regulations mate and let you see.

@BrianB

Ok the ratings are C0, C1, C2, C3, C4

The categories of flights are A1, A2 & A3

A1 Fly over people
A2 Fly close to people
A3 Fly far from people.

Home builds over 250g come in below C4 so can only fly in category A3, fly far from people.

Came from this PDF https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Opinion%20No%2001-2018.pdf

2 Likes

Thanks Callum - I think this is going to be very interesting watching over the next 12 months!!!

1 Like

I really worry about how you use your spare time. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah we will just need to see what happens.

It does look like a Mavic would come under A1 so not much would change apart from registration.

I’ve got a really bad habit of getting something stuck in my head and end up reading countless pages on it. :open_mouth:

1 Like

A bad dose of Dyslexia would cure that! LOL

But, full marks, you do come up with some irrefutable info! :+1:

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned this yet.
While renewing my FPVUK membership I noticed they have added an option for government registration when available.

2 Likes