Interesting NOTAMs / Flight Reports / temporary flight restriction zones

On the CAA website I found this. Maybe it’s more of the same, but I can’t find info for 2021.

Summer 2019 English Channel airspace restrictions

Found the Details on the French CAA site.

Zones will be activated by Notam depending on where the patrol drone will be operating. The French will be publishing a schedule as to northern or southern operations, UK side will be on a CAA Notam.

Operations planned for Mon-Fri - 0600-1600

2 Likes

Monday to Friday only + French holidays……

Was once on a train along the edge of Salisbury plain (Reading - Taunton line) when a Hercules overtook at low altitude and dropped a landrover out the back

UK DANGER AREA ACTIVITY on a daily or weekly basis can be found here.
You need to be familiar with plotting Lat and Long!..NATS: Preflight information services

Also available in DroneScene, no sextant and plumb bob required, make sure you have the NOATM’s layer visible

Unfortunately Altitude Angel seem to be showing misleading boundaries for it. The ones in the notice linked by @SadieBatz suggest it’s nothing to be bothered about.

So is the conclusion not to worry about that huge 50 mile across 5 month duration NFZ even though it’s marked on all the official maps - but to look out for individual NOTAMS that my appear in that area over the next few months?

Neither. If you follow the French AIRAC map you’ll see the actual zones affected are all in the middle of the English channel. I’d guess there will individual NOTAMs throughout the summer as different zones are switched on and off, but unless you’re on a boat, I can’t see how it would affect you. If I’m missing something, though, keen to hear about it!

1 Like

Great - thanks for clarifying and thanks Sadie for that useful document.

1 Like

I tweeted to Altitude Angel (who I believe provide the data for Drone Scene and Drone Assist etc).

They replied;

In this instance, the NOTAM data was provided in a non-standard format (due to external references) which meant our system had to apply a low-fidelity cylinder, rather than the high-fidelity shape we normally provide.

We’re now manually processing the data from the external references and will update the map asap.

Looks like it’s done:

Yup - impressive response from Alititude Angel. Looks like they do response to tweets at least.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Advice on flying at Polzeath, Cornwall during G7 summit

I’m heading off to Polzeath N. Cornwall coast on Sat for 8 days and thought I would take the MIni 2 and get some scenic sunset vids. Well looks like I’ve just been hit with a double whammy! Altitude Angel is showing a huge blue circle around the entire SW corner of England with a notification that this area will turn red from next Wed and become a total NFZ.
So I’m not going to be able to fly from that day forward. And blow me down with a monkey wrench I now see that region is also a red zone in the DJI Fly Safe Geo lock map. WTF!!!
It looks like I can get an unlock from DJI if I submit an application believing I have a right to fly there. Ugh? I haven’t got a clue what that means. Do I have a right? I’d like to fly but what gives me the right? Who would give me the right? Is it an ATC authority. I mean for goodness sake, why is it geo locked anyway. It’s out in the country by the ocean, miles from any airport, Newquay is the nearest. Someone with more experience of this area please tell me, do I give this up as a dead duck and leave the bird at home? Surely the Cornwall Coast Guard can’t be keeping this area locked for ever can they? And then what’s with the giant NFZ from next Wednesday through to the following Sun?
Feeling distinctly p&^&^%d off!

This is presumably the temporary FRZ for the G7 summit.

Flying a drone is likely to be a Very Bad Idea given the huge security operation.

Your bigger problem may be traffic issues caused by security and by the activities of protesters.

3 Likes

Yeah forgot about G7. So what about flying on days before the Wednesday re the DJI geo red zone? How or can I get that unlocked? The DJI looks like it’s geographical permanent and nothing to do with any particular calendar event.

Do you mean the big red circle centred on Newquay airport? It’s hard to tell, but all three red zones seem to be associated in DJI with the G7 event.

You should be able to call up a map showing the proper restricted area set out in NOTAM J1937/21 here:

https://notaminfo.com/ukmap

The NOTAM text is as follows:

Q) EGTT/QRTCA/IV/BO/AW/000/100/5020N00511W040 A) EGHQ B) FROM: 21/06/09 19:00 C) TO: 21/06/13 22:59 E) RESTRICTED AREA (TEMPORARY) CORNWALL. RESTRICTION OF FLYING REGULATIONS HAS BEEN MADE UNDER ARTICLE 239 OF THE AIR NAVIGATION ORDER 2016. AIC M038/2021, WILL REFER. NO ACFT IS TO FLY BELOW FL100 WI THE AREA BOUNDED BY A CLOCKWISE ARC OF A CIRCLE, HAVING A RADIUS OF 10NM WHOSE CENTRE IS AT 501152N 0052759W BTN 500210N 0053003W AND 501801N 0054024W, THENCE A STRAIGHT LINE BTN 501801N 0054024W AND 503604N 0051753W, THENCE A CLOCKWISE ARC OF A CIRCLE, HAVING A RADIUS OF 15NM WHOSE CENTRE IS AT 502627N 0045943W BTN 503604N 0051753W AND 501141N 0050331W, THENCE A CLOCKWISE ARC OF A CIRCLE, HAVING A RADIUS OF 10NM WHOSE CENTRE IS AT 500507N 0051514W BTN 501141N 0050331W AND 500210N 0053003W. EXCEPT ACFT OPERATING BY OR BEHALF OF THE NATIONAL POLICE AIR SERVICE, HELICOPTER EMERGENCY SERVICES, MARITIME AND COASTGUARD AGENCY, MOD, AND THE UK FOREIGN AND COMMONWEALTH OFFICE OR FLYING WITH THE PERMISSION OF DEVON AND CORNWALL POLICE AVIATION UNIT. THIS RESTRICTION OF FLYING ALSO RELATES TO THE OPERATION OF ALL UAS. 2021-06-0035-AS6. LOWER: SFC UPPER: FL100

The notaminfo website displays that as:

You’ll see it’s similar to the DJI geofencing but not identical (limitations of the people at DJI).

If you’re flying anywhere in there on the specified dates, it’s illegal. Outside those dates, it’s legal so long as you stay away from the airports.

You can only unlock a “red zone” with DJI by emailing them details of your authorisation to fly. Good luck with that! You could try emailing them to confirm that these zones won’t be active outside the specified dates, with a link to the NOTAM.

If you haven’t flown for a while, you could also just keep your drone offline to make sure it hasn’t downloaded an up-to-date DJI Fly Safe database. That seems like your best bet, if it’s an option.

1 Like

I should take up fishing for the week if I was you!

3 Likes

Looks like a spot just off Lands end :joy:

Cornwall just a no fly zone for a week then

1 Like