Is buying the Mavic 2 a good idea?

Hi,Trevor, welcome,

I too am a newbie, but moving slowly! I first got a Hubsan 501S - nice good value starter drone which got me hooked, and if the camera had been gimballed, I’d probably still have it! But the jerky video and fishbowl effects spoilt it rather, so I soon moved on. I don’t have (or want!) a smart phone and unfortunately for my little android tablet the android version is too old for the Mavic range. The Hubsan had a good screen built in to the controller, and I found out about the Fimi A3 which is similar but has a nice gimballed camera and a few more special functions. Screen a bit dim and needs a sunshade, easily cobbled up from another type, and a little electronic mod brighened it up a bit, so now acceptable in sunlight. So as hardly any drones have a built in screen, here I stay until either I win the lottery or the price of the Mavic smart controller comes down to a sensible level :smile: But it works well, I’ve a video on the group here.
I could have gone for a Fimi X8SE 2020 - within my budget, the controller is lovely and would easily take my tablet which is compatible. But the 2020 model is very new - I like new models to settle down a bit before taking the plunge.
Anyway after all my rambling, you have of course done the right thing by asking for advice here, but it’s very difficult to be objective when you have a drone of your own! I love my little A3, but I’ve no doubt I would also love an X8SE2020 or a Mavic Air! So I suggest you browse the many YouTube reviews for all the drones you think you might like, and weigh up the pros and cons, both on performance and value for money. Then agonise over a decision :wink:

Happy hunting and keep well!

Peter

2 Likes