Langley Chimney

Hi, folks,

Having joined a few weeks ago, and managed to damage (circuit board) and repair my Fimi A3, I’ve finally got to grips with it and with the nice free VSDC video editor. So here is my first effort! I wanted to show a couple of the A3 features, notably the ‘orbit’ function and the ‘follow me’. I’m actually following it at the beginning of the video sections, but it stayed nice and safe a few feet in front of me, likewise safely behind me at the end.

Although I did a gimbal levelling before I left home, I think it was still very slightly off although it seemed to correct itself later - that chimney is definitely not leaning! You can clearly see the route of the buried flue from the original smelting works over a mile away.

Cheers,

Peter

6 Likes

Some great shots there :+1: :+1: Tell me,were you not even a little tempted to fly down into the chimney,and out the bottom ?? :wink: :wink: :rofl: :rofl: No,seriously,don,t !! enjoyed the vid keep em coming… :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Tempted indeed! Well, not really :roll_eyes: I actually have clip on propeller guards although they weren’t fitted that day. I daresay if I stood inside the chimney I wouldn’t lose connection. But of course I WOULD lose GPS, so I doubt if the drone would stay stable enough to come down safely even with the guards fitted - I think an emergency motor stop would be in order and have a safety net at the bottom!

Cheers,

Peter

1 Like

I forgot to mention at the beginning of this thread that the damaged circuit board was in the controller. I clumsily broke one of the ribbon cable connectors when doing a mod to increase the screen brighntess. Had to get a new circuit board, but Aliexpress fortunately obliged and all was well in the end. If anyone else has a Fimi A3 the details are in this thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3149884-XIAOMI-FIMI-A3-the-successor-of-the-Mi-drone-(WIP)/page59

You need to read posts 873 and 884 for the mod. Because the connection point is on the back of the circuit board it has to be lifted. Most of the wired plugs come out easily although some of them are held with a type of glue, just cut it away carefully - be extra careful with the tiny ones that go to the the aerial units. But there is a small ribbon cable going to the controller GPS board. That has to be released from its clip. Which is the bit I broke! But it’s ever so easy - just gently lift the little black bit to release the cable. Wish I’d known that in the first place! When replacing the cable make sure it is fully inserted then push the black bit down again. Don’t try to take the clip apart - that was my downfall!

Cheers,

Peter