Is it normal to feel stupid after crashing your drone?

That’s the one thing that’s comforting to me, I am hearing that everybody does it at some point.

Another one here. Lost my first Mini after three weeks, barely 10 yards away but inexperience and panic set in.
Nobody makes their first jump Everyone loses their first drone

(If only the ground were so bouncy.)

3 Likes

Good example “Everybody falls the first time.”

Start flying @group-fpv . We crash for fun
:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Bloody hell I’ve had many crashes totaled my first 5 inch a week in. Hit many concrete/metal poles. It happens to the best of us mate you only learn from your mistakes. I have nearly crashed my air 2 2 times now and only had it a week also

Don’t think I could take it. It was a traumatic experience. :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

Wow. It is a challenging skill it seems.

Don’t beat up on yourself - sounds like you managed to do some amazingly advanced stuff (cinematic and aeronatic) for a first outing. Over-ambitious maybe but stupid - certainly not! Glad you have the repairs covered and hope you get back to flying soon. All the best, Chris

it certainly is the first few times you crash. However, it will help you develop new skills.

I’m now able to build and repair my drones and can confidently try to tackle most drone-related issues - with a little help and guidance from the more experienced on the forum.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words. That’s right, overambitious. Need to understand that flying and cinematography from drone was two different activities that I need to do simultaneous. Getting an appreciation of that now.

I didn’t know that was possible, beyond changing props. You can build your own drones, that’s badass!

1 Like

Does that really happen? I am close to the first picture for sure right now. Won’t happen 26 times for me. I am gonna wrap my drone in bubble wrap every time I send it up from now on. :slight_smile:

Haha it does if you fly fpv freestyle :grin:
Camera drones are different and if you crash a camera drone 26 times it’s probably time to concede that it’s not the hobby for you lol
In all seriousness don’t beat yourself up. Most of us have crashed at some point (normally while you’re still new to the hobby and getting used to flying). The main thing as others have said is treat it as 2 separate activites/skills. Concentrate on learning to fly first and when you are confident in your control start getting more involved in video/photo side of things. The most important thing to my mind is not getting sucked into watching the screen. Always check the drone position/orientation/surroundings by eye before you make a maneuver especially when you are close to trees and building etc. It’s all a learning curve but worth it when you get those stunning photos/videos that you want :+1:t2: Just remember to enjoy the flying and have fun :wink:

That’s great advice. I am gonna print it out and keep as my pre-flight check. That’s exactly where I went wrong - getting sucked into watching the screen “Oh, isn’t that pretty?” and boom. Thanks for that. Seriously, that makes perfect sense after my week of experience.

1 Like

Hard luck that…moral? stay away from trees!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Yep. Good lesson.

Earth’s Most Isolated Tree, the only one around for 250 Miles, Was Knocked Down by Alleged Drunk Driver. For centuries, until one fateful day in 1973 , the lone acacia tree grew in the sea of sand that is the Nigerian Sahara desert. :joy:

1 Like

And water!

Overachiever then?