Is it normal to feel stupid after crashing your drone?

Yeah, I am already afraid of water. You can’t even get the damaged drone then to send back.

Watch and learn…
So many involve trees and water
I don’t remember which volume it is, but the one where the drone is attacked by a lobster is great!

4 Likes

Wow, 14 minutes of pure drone crashes. I don’t know why but it does make me feel better. The commentary is hilarious on this video. I am saving some of it for later.

2 Likes

Try fpv, the hobby IS crashing.

3 Likes

I don’t think I could afford it, and it looks too crazy for me.

1 Like

I saw that lobster thing, It was volume 2. So freaky.

1 Like

I actually feel the same way about the Mavic camera drones!

Since I 3D print some of my frames and other parts and am happy to repair my drones myself it seems cheaper to do FPV than the Mavic style stuff. At least each time something breaks its a smaller quantity of cash that has just gone.

I often have a suitable spare part in my bits box, or even can just print a replacement!

1 Like

Nice. No idea about FPV, for me, drone is (was going to be) an extension of my photography+ filmmaking.

1 Like

Perfectly reasonable… I’m more of an electronics hobbyist. I like to build stuff.

It’s not that bad really, they are designed to take a hit after all. I’ve had more crashes than I can’t count and so far have broken an action camera and a lot of props.

Hmmm… what have I broken (during flying/crashing)…

• loads of 3d printed frame parts
  • a few motors
  • a lot of props
  • one carbon fibre top frame
  • one cheap camera/vtx combo
  • one flight controller gyro (not sure how)
  • battery wiring

Most of those inexpensive and easy to fix. The flight controller was a cheap one.

1 Like

Is that with your crazy science experiments or just a generic fpv quad you have? I mean all it takes is hitting something in the wrong way and I’d easily smash and arm or a motor, I just try to “crash well” if I do and it seems to be working.

The ones that can be attributed directly to the “crazy science experiments” are:

• loads of 3d printed frame parts (lucky they were not bought frame parts (see the carbon fibre top frame, broken on first time out with my 5"), but then that’s why they were 3d printed in the first place!)
  • one cheap camera/vtx combo (badly designed camera mount and a bad collision)
  • battery wiring (more just bad soldering to be fair)

The others have been on normal quads, or just normal wear and tear.

Motor damage due to bad collisions or that horrid magnetic dust found at some bandos.

The magnet dust gives me nightmares, altho it’s not so bad to clean out you can mostly just keep the motors oiled and it’s ok.

Me too… it’s the main reason you don’t see me at my local bando (Wingerworth) so much… it’s riddled with the bloody stuff. Matlock is ok though.

I have lost a motor completely whilst opening it up to clean it out. Basically I lost the bloody spring clip somewhere as it pinged off and did not have a spare.

Yeah most of the places I fly aren’t too bad for it but a couple of bandos I went to before the clocks changed had it everywhere.

You’d be surprised at what you can get away with, with FPV quads.

My last crash was just over a week ago. One of the props on my quad exploded while at over 100mph. The quad bounced a further 100metres. The only damage was a bent motor shaft and a couple of props.

I’ve only ever crashed one camera drone, which was built from a kit. Thankfully the only things that broke were the bits intended to break.

DJI drones are well designed from an aesthetic point of view, but they don’t fare too well when they meet an immovable object.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the point though isn’t it, one is designed to be crashed t’other is not

Heh. I just got my 6th quad… only been flying since June. I’m building a 7th as well.

This 6th quad was very cheap indeed… a Diatone Roma F4, won on a Youtube giveaway from Nick Burns… :smiley:

The 7th is a Polycarbonate 3d printed cinewhoop with most parts coming from the spare bits box.

Bloody hell mate I’m still nursing along the same one I started with :sweat_smile: I did add a whoop to the collection though.