Is Sutton Park (Birmingham) a club member only flying space

Thanks for that. I will give the Arboretum a go as I pass it on my way to work. It does appear difficult to get any clarification regarding Sutton park. The Sutton Park Model Aero Club have not responded to the message via their website and their email bounces back so I have no idea how you are supposed to join even if you want to.

I had exactly the same experience… I’d forgotten about trying to you mentioned it just now…

A poor thing if you really wanted to join them…a non working contact? What!

All the best with @Hotrodspike encouragement. :slight_smile:

Nothings changed. All Birmingham city council parks are seemingly a no drone zone according to their byelaws. Take of and land exceptions obviously which I’m sure you’ll come to learn and love but personally I would just avoid any Birmingham parks which have rangers in attendance as it’s not worth the bother.

Walsall, Cannock, Dudley & Wolverhampton have no park byelaws.

Birmingham, Warwickshire, shropshire and Staffordshire on the other hand do if I recall.

I also use King George’s park in Bloxwich, but this can get a bit busy at times, especially on weekends with kids playing football etc. The gates on Stafford Road get shut and locked at specific times, but you can still get in if walking.
I’m always up for a bit of flying if you’re around, let me know and I’ll be there.

John

A busy day on the Arboretum 09/11/21

Continuing the discussion from Is Sutton Park (Birmingham) a club member only flying space:

Hi John, hope you’re well? is it still ok to fly in Sutton Park? do you fly your Inspire there? I’m having right trouble finding somewhere to fly… I’m from the school of “it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission” ::

I’ve never flown anything at Sutton Park, I used to go there with a friend in the 80’s flying his helis. They were a stuck up bunch then and from what I’ve heard recently, they haven’t changed much if at all.
You can always come to the Arboretum if you like, there’s never anybody there to complain (see photo above). There’s no council policy against drones and no byelaws either. There was 3 of us over there a couple of weeks ago (2 Air 2s,and a Mavic 2 Pro) and the only person that came anywhere near was a nice little old lady taking her even littler and older dog for a walk.
I have flown my Inspire over there, and had an audience for an hour or so just sitting and watching, no bother at all.
Let me know if you want to come over and I’ll be there. The risk assessment has been done for the site as I’ve done a couple of FPVUK practical exams over there, so we’re OK for Article 16 flying.

1 Like

That’s sounds a good place to fly, this ‘ask permission from land owner’ I feel is going to be a big fat no from over where I am, Solihull way.

I’ve got a Mini 2 and recently got an Inspire 2 but have only had chance to fly the Inspire for 5 mins before a farmer came over and asked “what ya doin?” (there was a public footpath through his field) no one seems sure of the laws/rules anywhere.
I’m definitely interested in trying out the Arboretum, I’ve got my flyer ID and recreational insurance.

thanks for replying
Russ

When we were over there a couple of weeks ago, we went into the Broadway pub first and had an “eat all you want” breakfast, went down a treat!
Calderfields golf course is at the end of the extension, and one of the guys flew over there as well.

I’d like to come over sometime, I could probably learn a thing or two! I need some flight time under my belt, I’m a videographer so I can add aerial to my cv. I can use the mini for now but need more experience with the Inspire.

Any day/time you like mate, I’m retired so the world is my oyster!

That would be great, the weather looks a bit naff next week, I’ll defo be in touch, better to send a pm?
cheers

Anyway you like mate, I’ll be there

:laughing:

1 Like

I’ve had you Karl, you’re nothing! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Sore but worth it

The scabs will drop off soon or so I’ve been told

Just a few more left. But I’ll save them for you John. They are on a bit of Sellotape.

Thanks mate, I’ve strung mine on a necklace for you!