It's Bernie_S Fault

I was spotted on MavicPilots and he suggested I look you guys up - so here I am. On the Cheshire / Derbyshire border.

I’m not a noob but sold up 2 years ago due to ongoing BS pointing at ‘drones’ - I hate that term with a passion it has so many ‘negative’ interpretations.

I flew an Xaircraft X650, then built and flew a DJI 550 with E300 power system (Pixhawk based) - I’m a tinkerer at the core, really wanted a copter that could fly an SLR but they were huge and impractical - not to mention expensive for non commercial use.

Got really brassed off by interfering busy bodies though, can’t fly that here, can’t do this, can’t do that, they’d go out of their way to do so and I don’t handle politics or being PC well especially when I’m breaking no rules - one of my many weaknesses … so I sold up … but I’m into exploring new places, I travel a lot and the portability of the Mavic 2 Pro appealed - that and how quiet and small it was, technology has moved so far in such a short time.

So I’m giving the ‘hobby’ another go, perhaps the more discreet Mavic will allow me to mind my own business. Time will tell I guess.

4 Likes

Hi Ben / @BenKenobe , and welcome to GADC.

An ever growing number of members also own a Mavic 2 Pro, so you’re in good company and there’ll be plenty of experience to draw on if ever you need it, by asking any questions in the #questions-and-answers section.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll get an idea if there are other members in your neck of the wood.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map : Members’ Location Map - A Guide)

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown. Obviously, this is mainly populated by posts from the more sedate drones than yours, but there’s always a change that it might be of assistance.

Hopefully your return to drones will go well … and you’ll find the tech has moved on a long way, too. :+1:

Welcome - glad that you made it!!

Bernie

Welcome Ben, there’s a proper good lot on here, you’ll like it :sunglasses:

Hello and welcome.

Hi Ben
Welcome great to have another northerner
So how is the Mavic 2? Does it tick your boxes

Hi @BenKenobe and welcome to Grey Arrows from a few more junctions further up the M6 :slight_smile:

I’m glad @northernlights53 was able to point you in the right direction.

Just shout if you’ve got any questions about the M2, there is a wealth of knowledgable people on here mate :+1:t2:

Thanks all.

So far it ticks all the boxes but it’s early days, I’ve not done anything serious with it yet, mostly trying to learn the necessaries so that I know which button to push and when - so I’m relaxed with it and understand the options available.

The Mavic 2 Pro is so quiet (maybe the original Mavic Pro was too but I never owned one of them!) that my standard take-off procedure now is run 30m away from any members of public or buildings, launch rapidly and climb immediately to 120m! Then look around and see if anybody even noticed it go up! Usually they havent! and at 120m you really can only just hear it if you know its up there depending on wind!

Good luck!

2 Likes