Jittery video playback

My Dell i7 wouldn’t play H265 with the original 8Gb of memory, upped it to 16Gb and no problem at all now.

This is an i5

It might … but if all you want to do is view your drone footage, that’s a bit of a faff?

Graphics card only running at 30% when trying to play back, its definitley the cpu bottleneck. When funds allow I’ll try to get the highest spec cpu my mobo can take and double the ram to16gb. Should make a difference. But for now I’ll continue to capture in 4k and reduce to 1080.

The GPU upgrading was more related to editing benefits than viewing.

Glad you have a useable solution meanwhile. :+1:

I put 16 Gb in the missus’ i5, and it plays H265 now. The i5 is about as low a spec as you’d probably want to go for good playback with no stuttering etc.

1 Like

If all else fails, let the PC and broadband do their thing and go fishing. Season’s open and I’d call that a win-win!

There is always the fishing to smile about :grin:. Im looking forward to getting away for the odd camping weekend out in the hills with the mini2. Which reminds me, I need to sort out a more portable power source than the lead acid I’ve been humping about!!!

When talking about iX it’s important to mention the gen. A current 11th gen i3 is probably as good as if not better than a 6th gen i7 for example.

Too many people get caught up in the higher the i number the better. Over time, it’s just not the case. They really need to come up with a better naming system after 10+ years.

Aye.

:wink:

Probably a naming convention started by someone at Porsche. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yup, and now there’s i9 which is way OTT more most things, but gamers will be gamers and Intel see them coming a mile off. £££££££££££s

The i9 proves it’s a Porsche originated naming convention. :rofl:

:thinking: What happened to 4,6 and 8?

Best i can get for my mobo is i7, 7th gen

You’d be better investing in a new computer imo and future proofing yourself a little. I think we’re on gen 12.

1 Like

To be fair I built this one with the intention of using it purely for photoshop. Most of the bits were scrounged up for free from various places. Its the first pc I’ve built in over 20 years, my first ever was an old 386 running DOS 3.1 believe :rofl:
Maybe time to look at making something a bit higher spec if I’m going to be editing video a lot, but it will have to do for the imediate future.

1 Like

I had exactly same issue with 4k, don’t bother with it, just film in 1080 until get better pc. Its too much hassle