Just been asked to take some pictures for an estate agent! get in

Simple answer to the OP - how much is your time worth per hour?

Some are worth £10 others £1,000 per hour.

I have a daily rate in 4 figures - that is not to say that I earn that every day, but it allows me to charge certain amounts for work.

They can go elsewhere but will they get the same service or knowledge?

What they need to realise is that nothing is free to you - the drone, the electricity to charge the batteries, the software, the training, the insurance etc…

The chances are it will be done by someone who doesn’t have the correct drone or insurance and likes to do it for free simply to see their image on a website.

Having been a professional sports photographer in my time, I am very much aware of people who will do the job for nothing.

1 Like

NEVER work for free

I’m sure you have Alex ;o(

Hmm nothing is hidden anymore is? Yes I have but learnt my lesson and don’t anymore

2 Likes

I remember commenting.

People are very quick to do stuff ‘to see their name in lights’

A byeline doth not butter my parsnips (an old picture editor said that to me in my apprentice days as a runner)

From your latest post on the matter, you’ve learned young padawan, my work is done.

3 Likes

Maybe things were learned from that experience. :V

I know from experience in other fields when I was younger that doing work for free creates an expectation and devalues your work when you intend to start charging. Never do it.

But I learned the hard way. A lot of people do.

1 Like

Yup I have

Estate agents are notoriously mean so don’t expect a generous fee. I would offer them a very cheap first set of pics and let them know that this is a “loss leader” for more work. I would say that £100 is reasonable as a starter. Then up it depending upon the size and sale price of the house in question. You should charge more for a £2M house than a £250k house for instance as the agent’s fee goes up this way…