Just been asked to take some pictures for an estate agent! get in

Ok, how much do I charge! sensible answers, please :upside_down_face:

I quoted a guy ÂŁ100 a couple of months ago, it was over an hours drive away.

He went to somebody else (probably with no insurance), I think its a race to the bottom now, or agents are buying their own Mini’s

2 Likes

First job, charge low as a “new customer discount” and then when they’re dependent start charging more.

1 Like

That was me charging low

1 Like

If it’s a company I’d wanna work with on an ongoing basis, given the race to the bottom and people just grabbing Minis like you’ve mentioned I’d probably even consider doing it on expenses paid + living wage rate for the first time. That way they at least have a sample of your work and they can compare it to a rando who can barely select exposure settings and put a box around a house for a dronie. But make it clear it won’t be that price in the future.

1 Like

The job is to take some pictures of a town centre for their website/ FB page

It may lead to other work I don’t know yet, so the question is how much to charge for a few pictures and how much is the insurance for a day?

Consider an hourly rate (with a minimum of say 1.5 hours) + expenses to get started with.

1 Like

Estate agent fees are a percentage of the property value. (So are architects for the build.)

A similar policy might be a good one. Match them at their own game. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Many do fixed rate now given that the market is very buoyant in most areas.

Purple brick under a grand outside of London, although I do keep getting flyers through the door with agents still wanting 1.5%.

4 Likes

Pop over to Coverdrones web site …. You can get a quote in a couple of minutes. I’d guess a days insurance will be about £10 for a mini.

2 Likes

Look at pricing by others to get started with, for example these guys have a good price list available: Drone Aerial Photography Prices | Cornwall & UK & https://www.dronesouthwales.com/prices/ and ask quotes from others (if you have time to get an idea) e.g. Estate Agent Properties – UK Drone Services by vaguely describing the work you are offered.

There are quite few companies you can find drone filming for estate agents at DuckDuckGo

1 Like

Yeah, the question to the OP is always is “why are you doing this, bit of pocket money or a business development?”.

If the latter I’d be having a long hard look at the business plan.

Everyone wants stuff for nowt at the moment in the B2B services sector. Unless you have a niche and expertise which is a necessity, you will struggle- and drone services are no exception.

GC

1 Like

dont tell me sale or alttrincham haha

They make a fortune for doing sod all so go in high.

1 Like

Don’t go in low and sell yourself short, it is almost imposssible to increase your rates later. Also, don’t charge by the hour, see @milkmanchris comments above re distance etc. Plus you have to post-process the images.
Even a quick job will set you back half a day.
I have a freelancer’s day rate calculator on my website
Remember that when you have established a base rate, you then have to figure out your optimal selling rate, there’s a link on the calculator page for more on this.
Why not photograph your own place to show off your work? If it’s good they will pay or can suffer the consequences.
You only have to look on Rightmove ti see the dismal photos estate agents use these days, good photography helps them get better offers for sellers, and more money to pay you with…
Good luck, and let us know what happens…

1 Like

Check out the ones using the giraffe cameras though, as a rough guide they are charging ÂŁ400 a month all in to buy in to that service

https://www.giraffe360.website/estate-agents/save-90?ppccta=ml&ppc_adID=1GPPC-JC-VTEA-ML-90FC&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=Virtual-Tour-EA&utm_content=1KW-VTEA-BookDemo&adc=GPPC

1 Like

Great point, but the obect of market disruption is to make money, not just put photography prices through the floor.
Why save companies 90% of traditional opex when you could save them just 30% and make much more money yourself? There has to be more to this than meets the eye…
Low pricing demands volume and many of the leading estate agents close to me are too tight to pay even the ÂŁ400 per month I think.

I regularly see homes at 500k+ advertised with images showing converging verticals, poor lighting, skies that clearly don’t belong in the frame etc.
In 1 case a “luxury” apartment on sale held the record for the longest listing, you only had to look at the photos to understand why. I told the agent the images were rubbish but they didn’t see any reason to change them. Maybe the owner provided the images, I don’t know…
If Giraffe can offer an all-in service at ÂŁ400/ month I wish them well.
As usual for photographers we have to adapt and create our own USP’s, but we don’t have to put our prices through the floor.
Drone photography costs money, if the estate agents won’t pay a decent rate, walk away.
We should never be afraid to fire a client when necessary if we want to maximise profit…

3 Likes

Estate agents in my experience are not the most generous clients and often take weeks to pay. Make sure to agree your terms and conditions upfront. Make sure you advise them about VLOS as I have had agents who know nothing about this and assume we can photo huge buildings regardless. I have had to inform them that I am not 20 feet tall!

2 Likes

A quick update on this - I’ve just received draft terms and conditions for a property sale from an estate agent, they are asking for £105 for “premium drone photography”.
Deduct the estate agent’s commission (15-20%?) and your own costs, (equipment, national insurance, income tax, time (travel, site assessment, flight, post-processing etc.), image editing software licence, computer, travel/ fuel, PI/PL/Eqpt insurance, access permits etc.) to decide whether it’s worth getting out of bed at the crack of dawn to get the money shot…
Also make it clear that, as the photographer, copyright remains yours - offer a licence that reflects the intended use of the image e.g. web/ social/ print/ advertising - don’t give away your image rights and additional revenue opportunities…
Try to get a property release signed by the owner.

1 Like