Landing pad - amazon

Yes, mine is about 9" folded, I suppose it would vary on the size of the pad once open though.

They fold up into a circle a quarter of the size of the unfolded pad. Mine fits easily into the laptop compartment of my backpack, but it’ll really depend on how big your backpack is and how it’s laid out.

I’ve got a nice 15" laptop space down the back so it would fit well there. BTW, congrats on selling the zoom, that’s got to be worth loads of brownie points at home!

1 Like

It did indeed … but I’m not sure she realises I’m now grieving. :sob:

3 Likes

Yeah but grief lessens with time, and in time the Mavic 3 will appear!

3 Likes

14 posts were split to a new topic: How to turn off the RC Beeping on RTH and Low Battery

Yes I’ve got the Mavic 2 Zoom but my spark did it too. When taking off from the landing pad raise the drone straight over the pad to about 30 feet before flying off. When I do that return to home usually lands smack bang in the middle of the pad.

I was wondering about that. The manual for mine says visual positioning needs “clear pattern variations” so I guessed that a landing pad might be better than the plain olive green groundsheet I currently use. It does always seem to find it though, and it must be smaller than normal GPS variations.

3 Likes

I know what you mean! It took me a while to get the thing folded and back into its bag😂

Fully pronate one wrist, fully supinate the other, grasp the rim of the landing pad and reverse the pronation/supination of the wrists while pushing the hands together. Then retrieve the bag with your third hand and push it all in quick before it gets any ideas. Simple.

4 Likes

I do love a “flick of the wrist” !

A useful addition for a pad is a rubber headed hammer and peg puller as in putting up and assembling a tent. Got mine from Halfords a while back for a few quid. Invaluable.

A number of occasions the ground has been so hard putting the pegs all way in without a hammer was tricky and not good to have your blades hitting a raised plastic peg. I put my pad on sand today expecting to just push the 3 pegs in so left hammer and puller in the car. One inch down and the pegs would go no further rock hard underneath. I managed to hammer them in with the aid of a large stone of which there were plenty as basically it was a stony beach with some small patches of sand visible. On the other hand at another site so much rain recently no problem.

Wonder what the specs of it will be

when I first got mine the ground was firm so left pegs sticking up a bit, trouble was when drone landed (from RTH) it clipped the one peg where it landed off centre, had to replace prop ( mangled end)
lesson learned, hammer pegs in or not use them.
you can also get metal pegs and just cut them shorter for use in hard ground.

Go to local carpet shop and get a square swatch. No charge, rolls up and doesn’t need pegging down.

1 Like

I hear people have good success with rubber car mats too :+1:t2:

(as you’ve usually got them in the car already)

1 Like

My landing pad came with the normal pegs and 4 neat little “bags” that you can fill with sand / stones for when you use the pad on hard ground / tarmac / concrete.

I’ve usually just lain mine on the ground with no pegs and no problems.

Obviously no wind gusts where you are?

Doesn’t take that much of a wind gust to move it a distance or possibly into the distance!. Where I was today the ground near the river estuary was boggy from all the rain and was difficult to find an area of grass suitable for a pad. Even there a hammer was help to get pegs right in and grass flat underneath. Effort to get pegs out. Without puller would have been almost impossible for me. Certainly didn’t want the pad moving even under light winds such as they were today as chasing it in a bog would have been no fun. In the event I landed it on the nearby hard path, away from standing water and so no bird was harmed or feet stuck in a bog. Mind you my boots needed some cleaning.

Just got mine today. Only 3 pegs !