Legacy drones is it worth to buy a new drone?

Do you intend to fly in the A1 or A2 category?

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Flying-in-the-open-category/

1 Like

Really up to you, its your money. if you can live with only A3 later on then go for it, or maybe look at a good sub 250g drone like the DJI mini, thats a really good choice now, being that it will stay as a CO drone even after 2022.

Yes A2 mainly that is the reason I took the A2cofc course

Then probably not worth dropping a lot of cash on one at the moment.

Maybe an MA2 ?

I bought a Mavic Air 2 just before Christmas and intend to make the best of it whilst the transitional period is in force. Two years is a long time as far as technology is concerned and I sure that there will be something equally as ground breaking available at the start of 2023 to buy that is C marked to effectively replace it with, even though my MA2 will still be able to be flown in the A3 category. I can’t see any manufacturers producing drones compliant with new legislation and releasing them to the market until stocks of the old ones are exhausted.

One thing this pandemic has reinforced in my mind is that none of us are immortal and to enjoy what we have whilst we can. My advised is simply that if you fancy a new drone and can afford it, get it and enjoy it.

5 Likes

Pleaseeeee…

PLEASE!

Please can we stop calling them CE marks???

It’s soooooo confusing.

They’re not CE marks.

My fridge has a CE mark, I don’t fly that anywhere.

They’re Class Marks.

That’s all anyone ever needs to call them.

Class Marks.

Thanks!

</pet_hate>

10 Likes

I don’t think the CAA have got all their ducks in a row yet. I think these new regs were rushed out following the Heartthrob incident.

I honestly feel that the CAA will allow retrospectively classed if the likes of DJI continue to manufacture the same drone with the same specs after the new classification system is rolled out. DJi could easily push out a firmware update to include an electronic class marker in the app.

1 Like

Alas, there is zero incentive for any drone manufacturer to retrospectively do anything.

Why would they? :man_shrugging:

Their sole purpose in life is to sell new hardware :slight_smile:

And they know we’ll just keep buying it :grimacing:

MA2 and M2 prime examples, we all knew about the changes when they were released but look at how they sold en masse

1 Like

And we’ll do it all again for the Mavic Pro 3.

Which won’t even be Class Marked :scream:

1 Like

:zombie: :woman_zombie: :joy:

1 Like

I also have A2CofC and mavic air 2, when you think how long it took for EASA to get rules done just recently, they were always extending deadline, therefore I personally think transitional period will get extended also. So if you wanna wait then i think you are just wasting a couple of years good flying. I remember Jenson Button (F1 driver) saying when in a wet race, “you gotta be on the right tyre at the right time to win the race” He had more pit stops in the race than anyone else but still won the race. Think and live for today, all will be changed and different by the time January 2023 comes along.

3 Likes

Appreciate the class clarification as I was getting a tad confused.

2 Likes

Has anyone got any new news what will happen to legacy drones by the end of 2022 or heard anything from the manufactures of complying with the CE markings?

1 Like

:laughing: :running_man: :dash:

Yer i should have said C markings

2 Likes

No news, they’re still just an urban myth and/or a fiction of CAA’s imagination at the moment :slight_smile:

Some related stuff being discussed over here: C1 drone mark seen in the wild!

5 Likes

hi i fond this but sounds very uncertain what will happen :exploding_head:

There are no C class marked drones yet because no one knows what criteria they need to meet, nothing to do with the CAA or the manufacturers, they are all waiting on the EU to agree and ratify the specs that they need to meet for each class…https://www.dronewatch.eu/how-does-a-drone-get-a-cx-ce-marking/

2 Likes

:exploding_head: people, get out now we can and enjoy some flying :grin: we can work out what’s going to happen in 11 months :nerd_face: a lot can happen in that time :blush: