Legacy drones is it worth to buy a new drone?

Hi all,I am thinking about buying a new drone over 500g either a mavic pro 2 or the power egg x
I have a A2cofc qualification. But my concern is that on 2023 all legacy drones will go to subcategory A3 and class c will kick in. I know it seems ages away but with the current situation I might not be able to fly much at the moment. Is it worth to wait until the new c class is put on the drones? What do you think? I am not interested in DJI mini at the moment. Thanks

Are you ever going to want to fly A1 or A2 ?

I would have thought drone manufacturers would have been more proactive with getting the new spec drones to the market as they’ve known this was coming for a couple years. I suppose it takes a while to get a drone designed, manufactured and into the market. Lots of folks like yourself are off-putting a potential drone purchase precisely for this reason.

2 Likes

How much do you need the A2 clearance shorter term? Do you currently have a drone?

There is a lot of red tape for the CE marking process. It can take forever. Took ages for us to get american kit ce marked to use at work.

1 Like

All the drones are already CE marked, the C marking is a different kettle of fishies altogether

2 Likes

I was told t

yes but for different standards, for example electrical safety.
the new C markings are following the same CE process, thats one reason they wont “back classify” them.

Edit<
Heres a quick link, its a CE class mark.

Would I be right in saying that the classification spec has not been fully decided yet, hence why manufacturers can’t actually build new drones to meet the C classification. Seems bit crazy to introduce transition period when they haven’t decided full spec of C classes. Or have I misunderstood.

Yea I have 2 potensic dreamer and DJI spark so I can wait. But I am itching for a new one :grinning:

I am not sure what you mean?

1 Like

Do you intend to fly in the A1 or A2 category?

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Flying-in-the-open-category/

1 Like

Really up to you, its your money. if you can live with only A3 later on then go for it, or maybe look at a good sub 250g drone like the DJI mini, thats a really good choice now, being that it will stay as a CO drone even after 2022.

Yes A2 mainly that is the reason I took the A2cofc course

Then probably not worth dropping a lot of cash on one at the moment.

Maybe an MA2 ?

I bought a Mavic Air 2 just before Christmas and intend to make the best of it whilst the transitional period is in force. Two years is a long time as far as technology is concerned and I sure that there will be something equally as ground breaking available at the start of 2023 to buy that is C marked to effectively replace it with, even though my MA2 will still be able to be flown in the A3 category. I can’t see any manufacturers producing drones compliant with new legislation and releasing them to the market until stocks of the old ones are exhausted.

One thing this pandemic has reinforced in my mind is that none of us are immortal and to enjoy what we have whilst we can. My advised is simply that if you fancy a new drone and can afford it, get it and enjoy it.

5 Likes

Pleaseeeee…

PLEASE!

Please can we stop calling them CE marks???

It’s soooooo confusing.

They’re not CE marks.

My fridge has a CE mark, I don’t fly that anywhere.

They’re Class Marks.

That’s all anyone ever needs to call them.

Class Marks.

Thanks!

</pet_hate>

10 Likes

I don’t think the CAA have got all their ducks in a row yet. I think these new regs were rushed out following the Heartthrob incident.

I honestly feel that the CAA will allow retrospectively classed if the likes of DJI continue to manufacture the same drone with the same specs after the new classification system is rolled out. DJi could easily push out a firmware update to include an electronic class marker in the app.

1 Like

Alas, there is zero incentive for any drone manufacturer to retrospectively do anything.

Why would they? :man_shrugging:

Their sole purpose in life is to sell new hardware :slight_smile:

And they know we’ll just keep buying it :grimacing:

MA2 and M2 prime examples, we all knew about the changes when they were released but look at how they sold en masse

1 Like

And we’ll do it all again for the Mavic Pro 3.

Which won’t even be Class Marked :scream:

1 Like