Lepe Beach 2

More footage from the same day, but produced in higher quality as noticed other video was grainy, also started experimenting with titles etc.

6 Likes

Hi Dave. What editing software are you using? In the other vid, the waves “stuttered” most of the time and in this one they are “stuttering” while the title is on screen. Got smoother afterwards tho’.
Good vid :+1:

Hi I’m using cyber link director, I’m still finding my way around it. In the first video of Lepe I had the setting set lower for the quality which I didn’t realise and it appears grainy. Then on this one the quality is a lot better, but if you say it’s stuttering then I’m still having issues🙄

I sometimes get a stuttering issue and it’s always been when I’ve forgotten to match the editing frame rate with the filmed frame rate, so it could e the same for you (24fps vs 30fps) It may not be the same, but thought I’d share the issues I’ve had.

Thank you I’ll check that and see if that helps

I always film in 30fps and if my settings are wrong in DVR, it always asks if I want to change the framerate to the clips. 30fps obviously smoother than 24fps.(6fps = 25% of 24fps). DVR has a tool called “optical flow” where after analysing the clip, it can insert frames to make things smoother. Does CLD have something like that to help? Thx for sharing, I’m far from being a pro but we learn something every day here. :+1:

I will have to check and see if CLD does have that, I had it all set up wrong with the first two videos I did and to be honest I’m not sure if it’s right now. It’s been all about trial and error so far, but I want it to be right so others can enjoy it rather than be put off by a poor image. Thank you for your advice and guidance it’s appreciated.

Power Director doesn’t have a feature like Davinci Resolve’s optical flow.

In any case, it’s far better to make sure that the project has the same fps as the footage being used.

Check the original clip fps in the file properties, and then change your Power Director project settings to match.

Click on the cog at the right of the menu … and then the “General” tab.

Timeline frame rate can be changed there.

Personally - not seeing any stuttering. Frame rate clashes show up worst in panning shots (since it affects the whole frame, not some areas with movement), and the pan at 2:05 seems perfectly smooth. :man_shrugging:

Maybe it was stream jutter then, but either way worth remembering that failing to match frame rate causes jutter for anyone new to film editing

If you are a gamer then the minimum fps is 30, otherwise the eyes can detect “stuttering”. So this is what I base my logic on. My 1080p TV has no problems with 60 or 30 fps. Is 24fps old fashioned now especially as most TV series are filmed digitally or did they do that to save on film reels on analogue systems?

24fps was just a rate chosen by the film industry when “talkies” came along.
With silent films there was quite a lot of speed variation between cameras and projectors, but when the sound needed to sound right, they chose 24fps.
As simple as that.

Appreciate what you say about panning tho’.

Interesting isn’t it that modern software, cameras and monitors can cater for really high framerates and not just for quality but helps in slo-mo, and modern software has developed to take advantage of this.