Lift off fail.. first build

Well that’s good to hear, though I’d love to pick your brain about what sort of issues that could cause when you have the time? I didn’t touch it because I was surprised by the ranges.

Hopefully the blackbox information will help us out. I’ve just watched a crash course on it on youtube so I’m ready to go. I will make this drone fly damn it!

Have you tried it on DShot300 instead of 600?

It does sound like the motors are grinding, but stock bf filters are forgiving.
Try disabling bidirectional dshot. The frame is definitely solid and fc soft mounted with no wires touching the gyro ic?

Firstly if you are using a DSHOT protocol you do not need to calibrate the ESCs it is a pointless exercise :grinning:
If there is any doubt about DSHOT then I’d use Oneshot 125 but this is an analogue protocol so you will need to calibrate the ESCs :slightly_frowning_face:
Oneshot 125 is solid :+1:

Where are you based / live ?

Pretty sure that’s all true yes.

1 Like

Just seen in your profile your Salford way.
If you wanted to travel to one of our flying haunts @notveryprettyboy @DeanoG60 and I could have a look and probably fix it for you.

Failing that, and if you are out of options, courier it down to me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That is an incredibly kind offer thank you. I’ll keep it in mind if I don’t get anywhere this evening. Would be a pleasure to drive down and meet you guys one weekend regardless, please do keep me in mind for your next gathering somewhere fun. You’d best all be dog friendly as the AstraNormical pack travel together. Astra is a Siberian Husky, and Norman is a Chihuahua.

Right, I have my first blackbox dump. This is on the bench as a control, but I’m already seeing issues as the yaw seems to be turning while the quad is stable on the bench with no props on. Motors 2 and 3 got too hot to touch, very quickly. This was just arming as you can see, no throttle.
Not sure what could possible be causing that, particularly as it seems fine when not armed and connected to BF

Check your motor fixing screws are not too long and touching the coils/wires.
This photo is the ‘ideal’ you should be aiming for, one or two threads exiting the motor base with good clearance to motor windings

Thanks for the suggestion

None of my screws come out of the top at all the space at all.

1 Like

It looks like a bad esc or gyro.
I’d swap the esc’s round to see if it transfers. If it doesn’t, I’d GUESS electrical noise is entering the gyro or something like that.
I think esc. Swap the ‘offending two’ with the ‘good two’

I’ve been playing a JB Live Q&A session while I muster the enthusiasm to get out of bed, and someone asked for help on this similar if not very same issue. There is quite a lengthy discussion with input from such great brains as UAVTECH.

The question is raised at around the 35:40 mark of the video and continues for some length with the odd slight deviation to other topics throughout.

1 Like

Thanks for this, not even sure what variable PWM frequency is but I’ll look into it.

Afternoon all,

Right, I’ve tried testing and resoldering the ESCs, I’ve switched to OneShot125 and PWM freq to 48, and dampened the max throttle and increased filtering as motor power was making it harder for me to get the drone in the air long enough to get a decent blackbox log. I did swap the ESCs round too, but not the motors.

So now the drone goes up and sits pretty stable except for the yaw spin.

It seems quite clear to me in the blackbox log that motors 2 and 3 are being told to push harder to rotate the drone clockwise but I cannot work out why nor does there seem to be a yaw trim option in betaflight. As discussed previously the midpoint for the receiver is correct. Ok it could still be the motors but if you look at the log I think the motors are doing exactly what they’re told I’m just not sure why? If I manually yaw left to compensate I can make it stay stable.

I cannot see that anything is interfering with the accelerometer, the FC only has one, and it behaves as expected on the bench for all axis.

I’m a black-box explorer noob and although I can see the yaw issues I’m not sure what to do about it. HELP!

Here’s a video

Here’s a log:

And here’s the bf config:

BF Config
# diff

# version
# Betaflight / STM32F7X2 (S7X2) 4.2.8 Feb 15 2021 / 12:10:35 (101738d8e) MSP API: 1.43
# config: manufacturer_id: MTKS, board_name: MATEKF722, version: f173f9bc, date: 2019-10-02T14:43:13Z

# start the command batch
batch start

board_name MATEKF722
manufacturer_id MTKS

# name: Astra

# feature
feature -DYNAMIC_FILTER

# beacon
beacon RX_LOST
beacon RX_SET

# serial
serial 4 8192 115200 57600 0 115200

# aux
aux 0 0 0 1700 2100 0 0
aux 1 1 1 1700 2100 0 0
aux 2 2 1 900 1300 0 0
aux 3 26 2 1300 1700 0 0
aux 4 36 3 1700 2100 0 0

# master
set gyro_lowpass2_hz = 213
set dyn_lpf_gyro_min_hz = 170
set dyn_lpf_gyro_max_hz = 425
set acc_calibration = 44,26,-3,1
set serialrx_provider = CRSF
set min_throttle = 1075
set max_throttle = 1550
set motor_pwm_protocol = ONESHOT125
set beeper_dshot_beacon_tone = 3
set pid_process_denom = 4
set debug_mode = GYRO_SCALED
set gyro_1_align_yaw = 1800
set name = Astra

profile 0

# profile 0
set dyn_lpf_dterm_min_hz = 60
set dyn_lpf_dterm_max_hz = 145
set dterm_lowpass2_hz = 128
set feedforward_transition = 100
set iterm_relax_cutoff = 10
set d_pitch = 32
set f_pitch = 48
set d_roll = 30
set f_roll = 45
set f_yaw = 45
set d_min_roll = 0
set d_min_pitch = 0

rateprofile 0

# rateprofile 0
set roll_srate = 65
set pitch_srate = 65

# end the command batch
batch end

Also, assuming this is not breaking the rules, I’m happy to pay £50 to the first person that solves the problem just to incentivise you to download and look at that log. I know you’re all helping out of the kindness of your hearts but this is becoming increasingly frustrating for me and it would be a pleasure to buy dinner for whomever can fix this as this has not been a great first experience and I don’t want to blow a ton of money on spare parts without knowing what I need.

The first log had yaw noise at 60hz. This can be filtered out with a notch, but you’re masking the problem.
Try running the motors slowly, then increasing via the motors tab in betafight (without props), then switch to the sensor tab to see if there is excess noise generated.

If there is noise, run the motors one by one to see if its an esc upsetting the gyro.

1 Like

You’re right. The yaw is indeed showing that it’s spinning when I rev the motors right up even on the bench. I hadn’t been able to produce this before. We’re onto something here.

1 Like

Do 1 by 1 to see which motor / esc is doing it.

Both 2 and 3, when running either.
Motor 2 doesn’t start until about 1350, Motor 3 starts doing it almost straight away then seems to stablise then start again.

Interestingly I’ve already swapped the ESCs and it’s still on the same motors.

Is there somewhere suitable I can share my screen for you to have a look at? I could run a zoom call if you’re willing

Sounds like the gyro on the fc (or the circuit that it generating the pwm), so a new fc. Maybe someone else can confirm?
You could try swapping motors, but I don’t think that would do it. But worth a try to eliminate them.