LiPo Battery charging

LIPO on the edge :joy:

1 Like

On the edge of burning your house down :rofl:

1 Like

Simple arithmatic will tell you it takes 5hrs.
Yes it can be safely charged at 5A but you will find that charging at 1A will give you operating time and balance the cells better. I don’t charge batteries in the field so time is not a problem.
It is unbalanced cells that cause over heating and damage the cell beyond use.
I use a cell balance checker with a cut of when one cell goes low in my model aircraft to slow down the motor hence reducing the load and gives you time to land safely.

Sorry mate. But modern lipo chargers balance the cells quite well. If a cell is that bad, the charger should pick it up and the lipo is trash.

Why? You should see it in the sag.

1 Like

i got the psu the other day and still waiting on all the plugs and adapters advised here.

1 Like

The big problem I had with the b6 was that it would hang whilst attempting to balance to cells at just below storage voltage. You had to charge at 0.1a for half an hour then restart.

I agree with 2C, do it all the time, except when I’m in a hurry :+1:

2 Likes

Lipo’s are a consumable. Treat them as such.

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking that if you’re not in a rush, charging at 0.5C is better than at 1C, at least for battery longevity?

Have a watch of this video - LiPo bags are a load of w*nk it seems. There are three short videos in the series, I thought they were eye-opening. I’ve ordered a Bat-safe to keep my stuff in at home. I guess I’ll still use LiPo bags to transport the batteries, but now I’m going to keep those bags well away from my quads, radios, and controllers.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t think so.
1C is good, not wasting brain power thinking beyond that :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I agree with @Steviegeek. If I’m field charging or in a rush then I’ll charge at 2C and this will half the charge time. Also in regards to the longevity of the batteries as stated by @notveryprettyboy they are consumable items and should be treated as such.

1 Like

I have searched my question but I can’t find the answer.
Could someone please explain to me how to charge lipo batteries?

Let me rephrase this.

How do you/we work out how many amps to charge a battery.

The batteries I am looking to charge are 4S 450mAh 75C

Sorry if this question has been asked before, if it has, I can’t find it. If it has been asked before if someone could be kind enough to point me to the right place.

Many thanks.

:blush:

Charge at a 1C rating to work out what a 1C rating is take the MAH of the battery and convert it to Amp Hours

So your 450mah would be about 0.5Amp hour so for a 1C rating you’d charge at 0.5amps :+1:t2:

3 Likes

A 1500mah pack would be 1.5amp hour so you’d charge at 1.5amps :+1:t2:

1 Like

Ahhhhh

That’s makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks @DeanoG60

:blush::+1:

1 Like

Sorry to ask another question.

When setting my charger on balance I have the option to set 1-6s, so Inset 4s, then the option of mah, the closest I can set is 400mah or 500mah.
If I am charging a 450mah what is the consensus?

Do set it to 400 or 500?

Thanks again.

1 Like

Steve, it hardly matters, 500mA is just fine :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks Steve.

Sorry for being a numpty but I would really like to do things properly. Never charged Lipo’s this way before so the whole thing is new to me. Best to start on the right footing.

Thanks again

:+1:

1 Like

No worries mate, we all ask questions when it’s something new :smiley:

1 Like