Litchi chit-chat ... What's Litchi? Should I use Litchi?

They never will either in the same way that the Mavic Pro does.

The only work around is DroneLink at the moment, where the stick inputs are ‘mimicked’ Which works well, until you lose signal then it returns home

1 Like

I have a mavic 2 pro and could you tell me if litchi is worth getting as ive just aways used the dji go4 .

IMHO, YES!!! Just check out the many threads on this site extolling its virtues.

2 Likes

Yes I use it instead of GO4 on my MP.

Have a read through this thread it should sell you on it

2 Likes

I don’t yet use Litchi but the waypoint tool looks a lot better than Go4. One thing I see is the use of contours & the ability to fly at ‘x’ height relative to terrain. I’m thinking it uses the contours to follow. Can any one tell me if this is the case & what is the interval between contour lines. 5m, 10m or something different.

Thanks in advance :+1:

It uses the Google Maps terrain data … rather than any accessible contour data.
I’ve never cross-checked … but Google Maps in terrain mode displays contours - so this is probably a good indicator of the data.

It works well. :+1:

Moved your post over to this generic Litchi questions, answers, and more thread.

It also gives you the ability to set up a mission using ‘above ground’ height, which is perfect if you are in hilly or mountainous terrain. I have used that many times and it works like you would hope it would.

1 Like

just bought Litchi and after much fiddling flown my first virtual mission. Brilliant. Guess a chair needs to go in my boot so I just sit and watch it happen.

3 Likes

I use Litchi on my Mavic and Inspire as the regular every day flight app, I don’t use GO4 at all anymore.

Try it, you’ll soon grow to love the lack of DJI bloatware that GO4 has become (which I suspect is why they’re slowly killing it off in favour of DJI Fly).

3 Likes

All the measures they’ve taken to counteract the endeavours of people like you and I, probably.

:wink:

2 Likes

Have to agree with you Rich. Litchi is just such a great allrounder.

1 Like

Only had Litchi for about a week now and I find it far more user friendly than the Fly app. Ok, takes a bit of getting used to but as stated above, you can see all the info on the top. Drone Direction indicator is also better.

Hopefully Litchi will support the mini 2 soon. For now, I’ll use it with my M2P.

However, I use the smart controller with the h Ed M2P, but an iPhone with my M2.

Will I need to purchase it twice as I understand the smart controller uses android?

Yes.

1 Like

I’ve just discovered and installed Litchi for my M2P. Main reason for me is the ability to do waypoint routes, and have the ability to ‘round off’ the corners. Also being able to create routes on my PC is a huge advantage for what I do.

Any tips for judging heights? What I mean is, until you arrive at site, it isn’t going to be obvious how tall trees/buildings etc are. I wondered about creating a route with ‘best guess’ heights first, but then before performing the route live, manually fly to each position and fine tune the heights for each waypoint.

I presume the M2P will still use it’s sensors to try and prevent any obstacles on a Litchi path (though of course I wouldn’t want to rely on that)

If you check this thread for the new competition to create a virtual video using Litchi And there is a great prize for the best mission video! The third post down briefly explains how to export a Litchi mission to be flown in Google Earth.

That way camera angles and altitudes can be checked as you fly in £D over Google Earth. The problem is of course that buildings get built and trees grow after the satellite pictures are taken but, as a guide it can be useful.

It depends on the clearance you are looking to achieve from obstacles - if you intend flying within 5 metres it would certainly being risky to rely on the information obtained from Google. And collision sensors don’t react to twigs or wires that well!

2 Likes

Thanks macspite.

Yes, I’ve seen that. It is useful.

I/m just wondered if anyone had any useful practical tips when out in the field to ‘check’ heights for those unknown things like trees etc.

Only chance I’ve had to use Litchi so far is with a small test flight that I planned at home and then visited site to test it out. It all worked very well apart from the last position where I was unacceptably close to a big tree that I hadn’t noticed in the planning stage (or even on site as it was some distance from me so judging heights at a distance on undulating terrain is hard to do).

Not sure if this sort of approach might work:-

• be overly cautious at planning stage and set every Litchi waypoint at 50m high (for example)

• instruct litchi to fly to each specific waypoint in turn (assuming it can do that without flying the full route automatically)

• turn the gimbal to look straight down

• manually reduce the height to where you actually want to be and also check through 360 degrees at the same time

• somehow update the waypoint heights in your pre-planned path

TBH, reading back through that, it all seems a bit tedious and depending upon the number of points and length of flight path, you’d need quite a few spare batteries!

Just thinking aloud really…

You can adjust the height of each WP to what you need. Personally, I also tend to use the ‘above ground’ height and have found this to work particularly well, especially in undulating areas or mountainous regions.

1 Like

Ah yes - I saw the above ground checkbox. iirc it warned me that I needed to import height data or something. Need to check.