Litchi chit-chat ... What's Litchi? Should I use Litchi?

I’d probably add a “Stay for x secs” for that - might help.

Not tried pano in mission since they added it. Wasn’t there in the early days.

I’m sure Litchi is good but it doesn’t feel good spending £22 on an app for my phone :joy:

Then wait for Black Friday - 50%.

But it’s worth the money.

2 Likes

I am still haven’t mastered DJI Go :joy:

I will eventually but I don’t actually use any of the smart features all that much.

It’s worth it. :+1:

So good I bought it twice. (Android and IOS).

2 Likes

It does seem strange to spend hundreds of £££ on a drone and be reluctant to spend £22 to get the best range of functionality from it. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’m extremely tight fisted :joy: I have 3 kids so they get my money.

And my inspire paid for itself, it didn’t actually cost me anything :roll_eyes: I bought it used (At a steal) and sold all of the extra parts that I wasn’t necessarily essential to cover the cost…

Iv basically just justified paying £22 for an app :joy::man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Okay… First time flying Litchi today. It looks like it adds some great features, but I have to say that I won’t be using it again. Might have been bad luck or incompatibility with the firmware that landed a few days ago.

Everything seemed fine. I was flying cautious as it is new software and I’m not used to it.

I had been flying around, using the video / map and controls. I wanted to try a pano shot.

All started well. It could be an related event, but I had an altitude angle alert on the iPad about an aircraft flying in proximity at about the same time the application froze.

I tried to take control using the sticks… nothing. No response. There was a note at the top of the screen saying Joystick. So it looked like it was trying to control.

I closed the Litchi app and opened the DJI Go 4 app - still no response from the sticks. It did let me perform a RTH and auto landing.

Reboot the drone and flight with DJI Go 4 app - no issues for the next hour of flight.

I’m not the kind to panic, but must admit to breaking a sweat for a minute or two.

Airdata logs shows that no Data was recorded for over two minutes - including for the RTH and auto landing. I’ve flown with the new firmware and DJI Go 4 app before and since. Don’t think I will use again.

1 Like

Hardly scientific test though

Agreed… I’ll comeback and update if I get the issue with the DJI Go 4 or GSP and confirm that it’s a drone issue.

Unfortunately people don’t value software anymore since you can get apps for free or for just over a quid (of varying quality). Software costs a lot to write and when Apple opened their app store and allowed developers sell their apps for 99c, I don’t think it did the software industry any favours as it has forced software houses to compete against those who have far, far lower overheads.

2 Likes

I’ve just bought Litchi. Will be giving it a go this evening I think! Along with DJI Go 4, see which one I prefer.

If you are doing a back to back comparison make sure that neither app is set to utostart and that you fully switch off and reboot your phone when changing from one app to the other. The apps don’t like each other! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers! Will keep that in mind! Thank you

I see what you are saying, a lot of time, effort and a huge amount of knowledge and expertise goes into creating software and it is under valued but one counter argument I would make it that it it far more accessible now than it was when software prices higher and only accessible on Microsoft and Apple computer devices. Now an app costing a pound could have 1-200000 downloads litchi for phantom for instance has 200000+ downloads and that is quite a niche price of software. But software can be downloaded in an instant on Androids, Apples and Microsoft devices.

The long and short of it is I’m tight fisted. I have 3 kids and a wife with a shopping addiction :sweat_smile:

Forgive me if these questions are answered in the depths of this thread or another on Litchi… so many posts, I may have missed them.

I’m just curious - let’s say I’ve set up a mission that flies a slow circle around a building taking pictures for a hyperlapse. It’s a long flight and it’s going to need more than one battery.

Can I hit pause mid-mission, bring the drone in and swap the battery, then fly back out to the approximate last-position and hit resume? Will it find its way back to the correct location per the mission and start back up again? And, if so, what’s the longest this could be left between pausing and resuming - i.e. does it only ‘remember’ as long as the app is open or could that be ‘pause here and I’ll come back next week’?

Thanks much :slight_smile:

The Pause only holds it where it is. If you bring it back to replace a battery you have to power down - and the mission is lost from the memory. You’d have to upload it to the drone again after powering up.

In the circumstances you suggest, once you’ve defined the whole intended mission, copy it to a duplicate mission, then edit one to do the first half and return, and then edit the other to fly out to the same point and complete the second half.

2 Likes

Just to add to Daves excellent answer, when you load a mission you can start at waypoint x, so as long as you remember where you were when the battery went low all is good, this gives you the advantage of being able to decide when you want to come home for the battery change

2 Likes

Thank you both. I’ve been wondering about this for a while but (because I’m lazy) didn’t ever get around to testing it out. Now I know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought Litchi beta for android for my Mavic Mini and took it out this morning for a test flight. All went well until I tried to execute a waypoint mission only to get a ‘failed to execute’ error. It seems waypoins dont work for the Mini yet :frowning: