Litchi vs Go4

The main reason cinema can still get away with 24fps is that they have the best camera/lighting/editing skills there are using the best cameras and lenses available that can ensure optimum shutter speeds in all conditions.

Oh - and they don’t have to mix standards, One film - one standard.

As per above - find me a phone that shoots 25fps. :wink:

My iPhone

I don’t see 25fps … the PAL rate.

My (fairly standard) iPhone, at either HD or 4K:

My experience does not match yours around framerate. My Mac screens can both run at 4K at 60Hz, and when I play recorded 25fps material they do not “stutter” at all, despite having a framerate of 60Hz:

(The only public reference I can give you is The Most Boring Film Ever on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh4l_tiZvNo&t=88s). Shot, edited and presented in 25fps - there are some technical credits at the end…)

Similarly, my family and friends’ TV screens are HD or 4K, and edited videos played back on them appear smoother when presented in 25fps than when incorporating 30fps material.

When editing, the only time I experience difficulties is if I have to incorporate someone else’s 30 or 24fps clip into a film that is already 25fps, and then I have to slow it down or speed it up a little.

However, it could be that I have become set in my ways. When I started making home movies, PAL was standard (as was 4:3) and a Hitachi 28" CRT was an impressive beast to heat up your living room! Possibly now, with plasma and LED displays, I need to try again…

1 Like

You win on the phone @ 25fps! (No badge for that … sorry.)
But - “fairly standard” iPhones are way more pricey than “fairly standard” Android … so it’s good to know you get something extra for the money that many cannot afford. :wink:

25fps on a 60Hz fresh-rate isn’t anywhere near as bad as rendering across the 24/25 to 30fps divide (which introduces the 5 or 6 per sec twitches), and let’s remember that 60Hz is that high to prevent the eye picking these things up … it loses touch @ ~30/sec and above.

Yes - that prevents dropped/duplicated frames - but lengthens it by 20% for perfect avoidance of drops, or shortens it by 16.7% to perfectly avoid duplicates (for 25/30). Anything less than that is still a compromise, even if it fools they eye. And as for audio sync …. :wink:

Basically - everything is going toward multiples of 30 (in amateur sector) as a default … particularly in lower end items that many people have to restrict themselves to. So one creates far fewer problems in editing and viewing by using that everywhere.

And, of course, on the MP that’s 24fps (aka 23.975 … frigging Yanks!) … and looking at what I shot in a bit of a hurry yesterday, I realise I’d not changed it back! :angry:
Luckily it was a test flight to check Litchi data for a later flight - so the important location/altitude data from AirData is identical.

You know your stuff with video editing, I know who to come to when I’m stuck now😁

I’m far from a pro …. but like a lot of knowledge, it’s been gained over many years of mistakes and the resulting frustration. :wink:

1 Like

@OzoneVibe On the phone issue, by “fairly standard”, I meant “slightly aged” - it’s a five-year-old iPhone 6, and I’m sure it now costs less than many Android phones!

I pointed out that shooting at 30fps is awkward for editing and presenting at 25fps (the UK norm), and needs to be accommodated by changing framerate. You then point out that, likewise, capture in 25fps and display at 30fps also needs work. That resolves very little.

But despite “everything is going toward multiples of 30 (in amateur sector)” our television networks still broadcast in 25fps. This from BBC HD Match of the Day:

Presumably they do this for legacy compatibility.

It’s certainly not “wrong” in any way to use 30fps, but neither is using 25fps, and you will still find the latter more compatible.

Also, I do choose to shoot in 4K - rendering times are reasonable, and whilst I don’t want to “impress anyone”, most of the time I will not be able to shoot the material again so I might as well get it at the best quality I can for future compatibility.

Like you, it is the “mistakes and resulting frustration”, rather than any qualified technical knowledge, that have led to my current conclusions… and I am willing to change them…

1 Like

As per my comment above about cinema and 24fps …. broadcasters have the environment, equipment and skills to make a 25fps work well …. few amateurs will.

In fact - BBC now use 50fps across their operation (easily backward compatible) - if you download from their iPlayer archive resource (Get_iPlayer, or similar) you will find they no longer hold anything at 25fps … that option went some time ago.

First ep of The Planets …

@OzoneVibe
I feel fortunate then - I too have the equipment (as does any Mavic Air owner) to make 25fps work well!
Agreed that BBC are tied into 25/50fps in the UK - but, from our evidence certainly not 30/60?
This isn’t moving me to 30fps at all…

[BTW - how was “The Planets”? I like Mr ThingsCanOnlyGetBetter, but wasn’t sure if he had anything to add after “Wonders of the Solar System”?]

When I get around to watching (hence the downloading without DRM time restrictions and lower frame-rate using iPlayer) …. I’ll let you know. :wink:

The stats would suggest otherwise.

There are no prices on that - price being fundamental to my statement that you quoted … and what are the other 42.62% of phones?

The minority

And the relevance of that?

It contradicts your previous statement

:rofl:

1 Like

You really missed it!

“Many” is not the same as “Majority” (the converse of “Minority”) for it to be a contradiction.

You win, dog needs walking.

1 Like