Litchi vs Go4

I’ve finally figured why the go4 app sometimes works ok and not others, because my iPad hasn’t got GPS it uses phone masts and WiFi point to determine it’s location by measuring your distance between them but for it to work you have to move and when out flying I start up the app and just stand in the same place. To make it work I have to start up the app or Google maps and walk but it doesn’t have to be far and once the iPad has got it’s general location it’s fine.

1 Like

Ah - interesting. Strange the non-SIM models didn’t have GPS.

But, I wonder, if you tether it to your phone … would that improve the iPad’s perceived location? :thinking:

I already tether it and didn’t help but if you tether it and walk it does. So if I tether it and either start up Google maps or the Go4 app it seems to work. It only has to be a general location that is why I don’t have a problem around where I live but if I travel 2 or 3 miles the problem starts. I will keep testing and let you know the result if it works or not as it might help anyone with the same

1 Like

Hi, I’m after some advice please. I have added a short video below to make clear what I am wanting to acheive (no music).
I am considering setting up a flight similar to below, except with the camera facing straight down and following the river with very little yawing of the drone so that all the ‘S’ curves (example at about 15secs) ‘ripple’ down the frame as the drone moves forward (I hope this is understandable), probably from about the same height.
At the end of the clip, to the upper left of centre you can see some grey farm buildings, and the total flight would be from the beginning of this clip to about 2000m past those buildings.
I could not do this in one flight without the use of Waypoints, as the total distance is about 4700m (as the crow flies); the flight below is about 1200m. The flight would not pass over any buildings or people and would cross one minor road.
Firstly, and most importantly, would Go4 be able to cope with this and give good results or would I be better purchasing Litchi?
Secondly, should I plan 2 flights instead, one to the minor road (about 2800m) from start and then move to that road and start a second mission?
I would be using the Mavic 2 Pro in ‘P’ mode, so would the battery cope with one single flight of this distance and have enough juice to safely return?
I am fairly new to this so would appreciate any advice.

https://youtu.be/vvRSDHRQ33E

In a few words, get Litchi !, Go4 is a bit rough around the edges for what you want (in my opinion).

1 Like

litchi you can set waypoints on your pc, then upload to the cloud, and onto your devices

2 Likes

@milkmanchris is the “Litchi” expert !

1 Like

Litchi

Get yourself a free account and plot it out, it’ll give you flight length etc.

If you need any help post here or on the Litchi thread ;o)

1 Like

A mere dabbler, but happy to help anyone who gets stuck

2 Likes

Thank you all above for replying so quickly. It looks like I am going to have to purchase Litchi lol.

Does anyone have any thoughts about my other queries?

Plot it as one see how it goes, you might as well do them together while its out there ;o)

1 Like

the advantage of dji go is that the logs can easily be uploaded to dji, im not sure about litchi if it can do it

1 Like

Looks like you will have to play around when it comes to the curves (bends) to get it right. But at least you will be able to see what it’s like with the “Mission Planner”.

1 Like

Moved your post, and responses, to a preexisting thread on the comparisons between the two apps.

Not sure why you’d need to but AirData is fully supported.

2 Likes

Well that greatly depends on whom answers, and your own appetite for this sort of “thing”.

Type 1: The I don’t care what you do, just don’t incriminate me: the clue lies in the description here. They won’t care either way, at least not in public.

Type 2: Drone Police: (though there shouldn’t be any here) - these folks will be horrified that you are even discussing breaking the current laws / guidance / regs that we have in the UK.

Type 3: The push the boundaries type: similar to Type 1 but more vocal on encouraging you to do what you want, when and where you want but if you get caught then it’s your problem.

There may be other types, but broad brushstrokes are as above - and your query (the Litchi bit aside) is really all down to you. Me, I’m a Type for the record. I will neither have a go, and nor will I encourage you.

As to battery and mission length, Litchi will help answer these as you can adjust settings to see. For example, I once set a mission up for my Mavic Air that reckoned it was going to be 18m long, which with the Air is really pushing its limits. By adjusting speed, etc I got it down to a comfortable 12m as I recall.

Some good points to take into account. Thank you for your input.

The type to leave us wondering ?

2 Likes

Ahh b£$%^&ks - didn’t spot that. Meant to say Type 1.

1 Like

I have something to say to all you guys who suggested Litchi over Go4!

WOW!!! Thank you for forcing me to make my mind up once and for all. This morning I completed x3 missions (each of around 15 mins) I have been planning for a few days and they have turned out amazingly. There is no way I could have achieved similar results by me flying alone. What an amazing piece of kit the M2P is, especially when paired with Litchi. Just need to learn other aspects of Litchi and I’m more than happy. The best twenty quid I have ever spent.

6 Likes