Llanthony Priory

11 Likes

Where’s this @lensimages ?

Near Abergavenny

1 Like

I just had to Google that too :grimacing:

Sorry South Wales

2 Likes

Unfortunately - like most old Welsh treasures (myself excluded :roll_eyes:) the site comes under the Cadw umbrella and their drone policy is pretty much the same as NT :rage: :rage:

DRONE POLICY
Cadw do not allow drone flying from or over its guardianship sites, except by contractors commissioned for a specific purpose, who satisfy stringent CAA criteria, have the correct insurances and are operating under controlled conditions.

Flight was not over or from CADW grounds, flight was from public footpath going over farmers fields behind and not on CADW property. CAA control airspace, not CADW. So as take off and landing was not on CADW grounds my flight was legal, cheers Len

2 Likes

Wasn’t suggesting your flight was illegal Len and I’m well aware of the legal requirements and how to get around them - just having a rant about outfits like Cadw and NT who try to make it as difficult as possible for drone hobby flyers - after all, they’re only looking after said relics on behalf of the public :roll_eyes: :rage: :rage: :rage:

1 Like

When was this taken @lensimages. Those colours are stunning, mate. Very nice shot.

Ok you are forgiven, I totally agree with you that CADW, NT and English Heritage are or think they are laws unto themselves, I always plan my flights using Google Earth and Google maps, and have been able to find lots of places around these organisations where I can fly from, even knocking on farmers doors to get permission. I also , as a pro motorsport photographer hold a12 million pound public liability Ins.
No matter where I fly if anyone objects I just ask them to move away , land and go home. Only happened once so I must just be lucky, cheers Len

1 Like

:+1: Agree with you 150% and have done exactly the same myself. My favourite gripe is Rhossili Bay on the Gower. Southern half of the beach is NT but northern half is Crown Estate. Just makes the total issue a farce :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

One of the things I really like about GADC - No Drone Police - so I’ll never challenge the legality of anyone’s work - nothing to do with me - but when organisations like NT Cadw etc do their best to prevent our hobby, I get quite miffed but I love it when someone gets a great shot :+1: :+1: :+1:

Stay safe :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just before the last Welsh lockdown, we had a couple of days of very nice weather, cheers Len

My understanding of the rules is that you CAN take off and land legally between the high and low watermark around lots of areas of the coast, did see a map showing these places , but cannot remember where I saw it, cheer Len

1 Like

Have a look at https://dronescene.co.uk/ - it will give you the outline of Crown Estate which covers the foreshore areas you can use for TO/Landing :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like