Loch Lomond with Conic Hill 2020

A little bit of outside as we’re all stuck in just now. After taking advice :wink: think from @Drumsagard :+1:t2: now shorter edit :smirk: :joy: First flight over water after couple of flights :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Far more watchable! :+1:

The video from the drone - what was its frame rate?
I ask this since there seems to be a bit of “twitching” when the scene moves across the frame … horizontally (in pans) and vertically in the final shoreline close-up at the end.

I can see the video was rendered at 30fps, and I’m thinking that possibly your drone video was recorded at either 24fps or 25fps … and this would explain the “twitching”.

was it yourself that gave the advice the other day? might have credited someone else :roll_eyes: To be honest, not too sure what frame rate was, you could be correct though with 24fps seem to remember that when I first got it. All advice is appreciated :+1:t2:

Nope - I think it was who you suggested.

Worth checking … and worth deciding which frame rate to use on anything/everything everywhere so that you don’t get the issue with a miss-match.

What happens is that if it was originally 24fps and you render to 30fps, in every second it has to create 6 new frames (5 extra if it was originally 25fps) and it does this by duplicating every 4th frame (unless you are using sophisticated editing software with clever settings … etc). This frame duplication is what causes the twitching.

You get the following frame sequence : 1,2,3,4,4,5,6,7,8,8,9,10,11,12,12, etc … the bold being the duplicates.

Cheers :+1:t2: overload with settings :woozy_face: but getting better :grin: and and this is a great place for advice and to learn :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

Yeah it was me who gave the advice to shorten it. It’s a far better watchable length now :+1:
though as Dave @OzoneVibe said it’s stuttering a bit as you move across.

If I want really slow smooth looking footage I shoot in 1080 50P keeping my shutter speed at 1/100 sec (twice the frame rate) then render in 25P.

Thanks :+1:t2: is there a program that auto detects fps to render? I’m using power director at the moment or is it just a case of keeping an eye on all the settings?

1 Like

You should be able to set the project settings within PowerDirector to 24fps to match the source - or whichever fps it was. Some programs do auto-detect and prompt to change.

You can check the fps of the source in file properties, on Windows.

2 Likes

Click on the preferences wheel in Director and the frame rate should be in the General tab (iirc).

1 Like

On the job :+1:t2: rendering at 24fps, will update on results :sunglasses:

2 Likes

soooo, rendered at 24fps, still looks like its there, :roll_eyes: think a lot more to learn on the editing side…

2 Likes

Lovely video.

1 Like

ok, after looking and rendering… again :joy: I’ve came to the thinking that laptop might be the culprit :roll_eyes: original file has no judder, cut the clip right down to just the start, judder goes away.

tenor

1 Like

Hmmm - for rendering there shouldn’t be a problem with the laptop … a slow one just takes longer to do the same job, but the result shouldn’t suffer.

Did you change the fps on the original project? … the “damage” might have already been done when it created with the 30fps setting.

Might be worth trying a new project at 24fps and adding the footage anew, and just rendering some of it to see if the issue still exists.

1 Like

Loaded the saved project I had. The opening part plays slow with judder, cut the rest of video and opening plays ok :flushed: now even stranger

A quick test would suggest that by changing the setting on the existing project you may have retained the original issue.

I’d try as above - start with a new project at the correct setting before adding the footage.

2 Likes