Lost Mavic 2

After checking that the aircraft was safe to fly, I took off from a carpark that over looked Polzeath (Cornwall UK). The signal was excellent when I started to take photos and videos of the sunset when suddenly the remote said connection lost. I then immediately pressed return to home but the drone didn’t respond. I ran to the cliff edge as it was Lowtide I went onto the beach to search for the drone at its last known location . I searched everywhere for an hour, and had the controller on at all time. I asked people on the beach if I had seen the drone but no one had. I had taken all precautions and always kept the drone in line of sight as instructed by the app.

I’ve sent data to DJI. I’m hoping for a claim on the warranty as I was very close to the drone given it’s meant to have a huge range.

What do you guys think about this case?

Link to flight log (Polzeath by the sea is the fatal flight)

Dropbox - DJIFlightRecord_2018-10-18_[17-49-10].txt

Dropbox - DJIFlightRecord_2018-10-17_[18-56-27].txt

What had you set the parameter to for when it loses connection?
RTH / Hover / Land ?

Kept as default settings rth. Drone failed to do so and when I went to the area it was flying, it had vanished. I was there 4 minutes later

Final flight …

Last message logged is weak signal.

Weak signal was sudden after hovering. Surely this is a malfunction. It did not return to home and vanished.

Do the logs show where the recorded home point was?

@Olid34 Welcome to Grey Arrows mate, sorry for your loss though :slightly_frowning_face:

Yup …

RTH was logged. Looking at signal map it was excellent signal until sudden loss. What’s the chances of warranty in your opinion?

Ah right, I missed that. I thought the home point was recorded 2s later, was just checking it hadn’t moved :+1:

Thanks mate, DJI are checking log. Hoping for a warranty case as I’ve been so careful, played by the book and the distance was sensible. Sudden loss of signal? Smells like a malfunction in my opinion

No in-app warnings prior to the RC disconnect I take it?

No, RC and app just said connection lost adjust aerial. Which I did. Kept the app on and walked around trying to get signal but the drone vanished. I then went to the find my drone location. Nothing there and people around the area saw nothing land

It does seem very sudden - but it wasn’t hovering stationary when the log ends.

The log shows it doing 43.848kph, and the full up on the right stick (elevator) had only just been released in the final millisecond.
It had been hovering (all sticks centred) 6.8 seconds before the end of the log.

So something catastrophic had happened. No loss in height or speed. What will DJI need for evidence of a warranty case?

The fact that this was sudden could suggest battery failure?

Nothing wrong with the battery …

What will DJI think looking at this do you think?

I can’t be certain. They look at loads of these and have a lot more data (generally) to refer to.

The suddenness is the main thing going for you … and that you weren’t that far away …. 110m high and 220m horizontal.

One thing I have just wondered, and has been reported by others …
The embedded images in the log indicate you were taking sunset pics?
The bright head-on light can freak out the obstacle avoidance system on MPs … not sure if this remains an issue for the M2P.

Really appreciate this advice and thank you for your time. Bright light is a possibility but would that cause LOS? Also, a £1350 drone should be able to handle a nice sunset surely? I will argue any hint that they try to claim it’s not the aircraft. Signal was excellent until last second. Really frustrating and confusing as this was an expensive investment for my photography.

1 Like

No indication that the signal was “lost”, just weak shortly before the end of the log.

Whether the end of the log on the phone related to an end of signal or something else (phone related, cable between RC and phone) can’t be determined from the log.

Shame you lost the M2P … the onboard logs would be more informative in this situation.

Is the onboard logs the other vast amounts of data sent to DJI? (DAT)