Lost my drone during a speed attempt

[Admin: A new thread created for @clinkadink lost drone discussion]

1 Like

So I think I have found the limit of the Mini 2.

Unfortunately, I couldnā€™t find the Mini 2 - but I know itā€™s rough location. It reconnected several times to RC when I got to where it decended on foot.

The first odd thing, is that AirData reports that it headed 6km (4 miles) due South East after it lost connection, in a perfect straight line, in a mere 69 seconds, which equates to approx 230 mph by my calc. This is obviously a glitch, and its true approx position is somewhere in the blue circle below (image below). I know this because when I arrived there on foot, approx 15 minutes after it lost connection (itā€™s a 1km walk through mud and water from the car), the RC connected to the Mini 2 a few times - but about 300m North East of where it disconnected.

Hopefully the image below helps explain. The red areas are what I managed to search before the battery died, and the rain arrived. At that point I had to call it and head back.

Sadly, the crees only last about 2 hours on a full charge (which they had). So heading back when itā€™s dark is too late. I am recharging the phone and RC. And will head back later after an early exit from work (hopefully).

I have shared the AirData below for anyone to try and make some sense of. It looks fine up until the last row (on the HD Flight Player). That row just makes no sense at all.

Google Map locations:

1. Descending and RC disconnection is here
  2. Reconnected several times here

Itā€™s my own stupid fault. I accept the risks when doing this kind of stuff. Play with fire, get burnt ā€¦ and all that. Iā€™ve lucky up to now, but the Mini 2 met its match with Storm Eunice.

I donā€™t need to be told how daft I am. Be gentle - I am in mourning :pensive:

5 Likes

Your poor little drone :cry:

Iā€™d be gutted too man :confused:

4 Likes

I hope you find it, and itā€™s not damaged too badly !

3 Likes

Just edited the post with the link to AirData (and below)

Fingers crossed you find it later Chris! Can you claim a speed record for a (hopefully only temporarily) lost drone?

2 Likes

Thanks. I hope so too.

Yes, as I was flying the drone, I broke the speed record.

I tip my hat to you Chris. I hope youā€™re able to find the brave little ā€œquad that couldā€ without too much trouble.

1 Like

Interesting that the app (or is it the drone) still only classified as ā€˜medium riskā€™ when it was hurtling through the air at over 100mph :astonished:

4 Likes

I guess the fact that it reconnected at all would indicate that it didnā€™t end up in the Rover Og at least :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly my thoughts. It must have re-connected about 5 times, but about 300m NE of the orginal disconnection location. The battery was on 48% the first time it reconnected. Then 39%, then it down and down. Until I couldnā€™t reconnect.

1 Like

Thatā€™ll be some weird GPS location that itā€™s created ā€¦ could be that itā€™s tight up against something thatā€™s not giving it visibility of a large chunk of the sky.

The end of the logs it suddenly falls from 18 to 6 satellites ā€¦ which rather supports that.

datetime(utc) latitude longitude satellites
18/02/2022 10:42 51.49564961 -1.782977296 18
18/02/2022 10:42 51.46059413 -1.711325555 6

Of course, that might hamper actually seeing it, too.

Good luck.

2 Likes

What time does the SAR exercise resume?

1 Like

In about 45 minutes. Wind has dropped to about 35 mph. Debating on whether to take the M2P out to check from about 30 feet above. But still trembling from the incident earlier.

3 Likes

What an achievement. Gutted about the loss though! Fingers crossed for the SAR :crossed_fingers:t4::frowning:

1 Like

In this weather, I think the coastal SAR chopper would think twice about getting airborne to rescue a load of little school children.
:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Would take me about 1hr 15m to get there to help ā€¦ if the roads arenā€™t chaos.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave. Iā€™ll have a go again today. If I donā€™t get anywhere, I may take you up on that.

1 Like

Salvaged this from the screen recorder.

1 Like

Pissing wet weather in the morning ā€¦ 9am-ish. better to find this evening.

1 Like