Lost signal - heart in mouth for 30secs

Just got back from Menorca, great time, good images for the villas had to shoot, However

Gave myself a bit of a moment when filming some stock forgot where I was standing in relation to where the drone was flying and went behind a big cliff while 50 ft above sea.

LOST SIGNAL message, took a moment for the RTH to kick in, even then still not sure until popped back into view, PHEW!

New pants needed, lesson learned (until the next time)

5 Likes

Was your RTH height set higher than the cliff? Or did it head towards the cliff face and obstacle avoidance kicked in?

:poop:

above the cliffs, i did take a moment to work it out but i was on top of the cliffs in the bay so was fine

If i’d been on the beach might have been interesting

1 Like

I have seen this on yt when one guy fly behind of big cliff and also lost signal… Or I should write BiG rock … That’s why you have lost signal…

Can you upload some footage from this moment? As this could be interested what and how drone survive. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some people (well, one) has managed to fly the other side of an whole island … :wink:

And, as a result, managed to provide the best ever demonstration of both RTH and Obstacle Avoidance

1 Like

The thread I referred to in my last post is this one.

If you’ve ever had any doubts trusting either RTH or Obstacle Avoidance … just run through that thread, especially the full video.

(Poor @colinbm - I’m always dragging up this one - but it’s really rather impressive and amazing!)

2 Likes

I enjoy the notoriety :smiley:

30 seconds?! That’s nothing.

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Hey @PingSpike , can we have a longest time without signal badge? I’m in the running.

2 Likes

That about 2 months now? :rofl:

4 Likes

In case anyone missed that phenomenal opening line. Whatttt? Is that what a PfCO gets you? I’m signing up immediately! :laughing:

Yeah go on, rub it in.:upside_down_face::neutral_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thursday, I’ll be back in the air.

2 Likes

That’s great news Ash !.

Have also been grounded for months. Long weekend in Lapland in a month, so should get some opportunities there. Hoping for some aurora! Not sure how clear that’ll be on the drone camera though.

1 Like

Sounds like a scary experience you had, good that it came back in one piece though. Has happened to me sometimes where I lost track of where my drone was but never lost signal as well. That’s the worst feeling when you think you’re going to lose your drone :fearful: